Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a NF Flathead trip and looking for shuttle recommendations. Flow is looking to be around 4' which I have been told is still moving at a nice clip. Would the border to Blankenship be too much for a three day trip? I figure 20mi/day isn't too bad if the current is moving along nicely. I am also considering taking out before Blankenship if needed. Any thoughts on distance and shuttle company shout outs would be appreciated. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
A few of the rafting co's will do shuttles I believe but not sure which ones and it will be expensive for sure. Last year we worked out a shuttle from the border to pole bridge with one of the staff at the bakery...$1 a mile... pretty spendy but better than driving another rig. I'm sure you could work something similar, it's one way they make extra cash...

·
All90s
24 Posts
Doing a NF Flathead trip and looking for shuttle recommendations. Flow is looking to be around 4' which I have been told is still moving at a nice clip. Would the border to Blankenship be too much for a three day trip? I figure 20mi/day isn't too bad if the current is moving along nicely. I am also considering taking out before Blankenship if needed. Any thoughts on distance and shuttle company shout outs would be appreciated. Cheers.
We have done the border trip numerous times. We used the below shuttle company last year and it was much cheaper than the raft companies and a good family ran business: 406-471-7271.

We went from the border to big crk two weekends ago in 2 days (21mi/day) averaging 10min/mi at 5500 cfs. Border to Blankenship should be no problem for 3 days if your car is waiting for you at Blankenship. Be aware of upper and lower Fool Hen Rapids as there has been at least 3 rafts I know of flip or wrap their boat around a rock. Fool Hen Rapids will be your third day 8mi from Blankenship bridge.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just ran it and we used Mystic Fly Shop in Kalispell. Mystique Fly Shop 1 (844) FLY-SHOP Did a great job for us. Make sure you know the location of the log jam, I put a waypoint on the correct channel, you can find it on River Brain. A bit more wood has come into the correct channel so it looks even less like the right way to go. It is below Cole Creek, I put the waypoint down just about 2 weeks ago so it is up to date. It is a really easy run if you take the right channel, I ran it wrong once and wound up in a log jam mess, never again. Fishing should be awesome BTW.

·
All90s
24 Posts
I just ran it and we used Mystic Fly Shop in Kalispell. Mystique Fly Shop 1 (844) FLY-SHOP Did a great job for us. Make sure you know the location of the log jam, I put a waypoint on the correct channel, you can find it on River Brain. A bit more wood has come into the correct channel so it looks even less like the right way to go. It is below Cole Creek, I put the waypoint down just about 2 weeks ago so it is up to date. It is a really easy run if you take the right channel, I ran it wrong once and wound up in a log jam mess, never again. Fishing should be awesome BTW.
It's Coal Creek, but he is right. The river braids quite a bit after Coal and if you haven't floated that section before there is a section that may become confusing. My rule of thumb after Coal Crk is to stay river right at large Y's. I believe the one he is talking about there is a log stuck at the Y and you want to run it river right, if you go left you will encounter obstacles that you will not want to deal with. A raft within our party went river left a couple of years ago there and made it out, but did have to port a few times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts