Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are brand new newbies and want to hook up with some whitewater training specifically designed for inflatables in the Denver or front range area. We rented a divorce boat - inflatable tandem - last weekend and realized in order to keep matrimonial bliss we'd better try solos. So we just came back from our first solo rafting trip today a little humiliated and with greater respect for whitewater.

At this point we are going to stick with inflatables, not hard shells. We just moved to the Denver area last October, are both well into AARP territory, but are reasonably fit and love the water. We haven't bought our own equipment yet. We'd like to get some on-the-whitewater beginner training that is designed for inflatable kayakers and get involved with a club in our area.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had the same problem when I first started paddling my IK. All of the kayaking classes I could find spent a great deal of time on learning to roll, which wasn't useful to me. But I still needed to learn how to read water, ferry accross the river, catch eddies, etc. Steve's suggestion is a good one. I wish I'd thought of it when I was first learning. I ended up just learning by trial-and-error. Also, I joined Colorado Whitewater. They are almost all hard-shell kayakers, but you can get on some beginner trips and learn without too much trauma. They're very kind to us duckiers (as far as I know, there are 2 of us).

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would stick to class I+ II- for a while then move up over time or when you have a TL and a group that know the run you are on. Still lots of good days to be had on easy water. Some outfitters offer trips that are raft support and you are in an IK the entire time on great runs like the Yampa, Lodore, Deso which are fairly easy depending on flows and you would be with guides that know the river. Deso with a guide and an IK would give you 84 miles of supervised pracitice, they even cook for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great suggestions. We foolishly went on a II+ and III trip yesterday and I think I learned the most important lesson of all.....have respect for the river and don't be overly confident - especially when your experience doesn't warrant said confidence!! We'll join Colorado Whitewater and look for a guided duckie trip. If anyone knows of a particular outfit that is good let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoapiglet - thanks for the link. It looks like a great clinic. We're going to sign up for their 1 or 2 day classes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would consider myself somewhere between a newb and a pro and I'm always looking for people to take my ducky out with.

feel free to contact me

·
Registered
253 Posts
High Country River Rafters is the club you want to get involved with:
High Country River Rafters - Home Page

lots of folks there with IK's, almost 50/50 with the round boats based on a couple meetings i went to. you just missed their most recent meeting (yesterday), but get in touch with them for future floats and meetings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would consider myself somewhere between a newb and a pro and I'm always looking for people to take my ducky out with.

feel free to contact me
Pbowman's right. There are several of us with duckys that get out regularly. (Although we're still a small minority of the club) It's a great ducky year with the low water and many of the club members that would normally be rafting are taking the ducks out instead. You can PM me if you want to know what we're doing next.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The book "The Complete Inflatable Kayaker " by Jeff Benntt is an indespensable ducky specific instructional guide from basics to advanced.Excellent explanations of how rivers work (hydromorphology) that would benefit all. boaters Try rafting store to find it or Amazon. Ed Nealy "Kayak " is more for hardshells but also has much useful info applicable to IKs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts