Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm new to Kayaking and took some lessons with the excellent Boulder Outdoor Center (plug).

I've been looking at picking up a second hand boat and am 6 ft 6" and about 190 pounds. I want an all-round boat to get me started so I'm not looking at a play boat but an easy boat to practice rolls, braces, class II and III etc. My dimensions are obviously not common so i'll need a good fit.

Any advice on boat makes and models, types would be appreciated so I know what to look for at the the upcoming used sales.

Cheers!
Connor

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I'm hardly a boat expert, but I think you'll fit a Wavesport Super EZ. It's a tried and true river runner/play boat, and appropriate for beginner to expert.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm 6'6" 210# and paddle a Jackson Super Fun, I also tried and fit in Wave Sport Super EZ, Wave Sport Deisel 75, Pyranaha H:3 255 and the Liquid Logic Hoss.
My one suggestion when looking at used boats is not to go with the cheap old displacement boats you will find out there. Look for something with a newer design and a planning hull. Also look around and get an idea of what specific kayaks that you fit into are going for some people have a warped idea of what there old gear is worth.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I think the Super EZ may be a little short for someone 6' 6" but the other boats seem like good suggestions. Shameless plug here but I have a Wavesport Z that might do the trick that I would sell.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I reread this and see that someone 6,6 has fit in a super EZ. That surprises me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am 6'6", 205 lbs with size 13's and fit in a Super EZ. Pulled the adjustable bulk head. Good river running boat and plays well too.

Doug

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a Hoss that I have loaned to several people over 6 feet including 6'8". All have come back psyched on the comfort, handling, and support that it provides. I am 5' 10" and love to paddle hard stuff in in and have taken it to South Canyon at lower flow. It is a great platform for big folks to work from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts