Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
My name is Cindy. I'm an inspiring author currently doing a creative writing course, and have decided the main setting for my novel will be a white water rafting trip in B.C. (Kicking Horse River) kayak or raft not sure yet. However I have no experience with rafting and was hoping I could find someone to answer my silly beginner questions. My daughter suggested posting here for help.
I know absolutely nothing about the lingo, the dangers, terms gear other then what I have researched online. I know in Bc they don't allow level 5 or 6? Why is that?
Any help, information anyone could give me would be so welcome. Who knows, maybe after writing about it, I will be ready to give it a try.
Thanks so much

Cindy

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I know in Bc they don't allow level 5 or 6? Why is that?
If you are saying Class V and VI then that would be incorrect. There are many people on this board who run class V regularly. I have seen video of people running class V in BC as well. VI is defined as unrunnable so in that sense, I guess you are right about class VI in BC.

·
Registered
173 Posts
you should just pick up a copy of this book to give yourself a base level intro to it and then you might be able to ask more specific questions later.

The Complete Whitewater Rafter Book
I would agree this is a really good book. It will teach you a lot about boating. I would also go to your local gear shop and look for a book on specific areas of interest such as B.C. You can probably find a book on the specific river you are looking at.

Good luck in your writing. Hopefully writing this book will make you want to try the real thing.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You should consider some "field research". Book a raft trip with a commercial then hang with the guides after. Many are kayakers and one
evening spent thusly would be very illuminating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts