Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to start doing some whitewater kayaking and plan on getting a kayak in December. i live in mississippi so there arent really any places i can take kayaking lessons. we go up to the ocoee river to go rafting every year so thats where i would kayak... any advice on where i need to start.:?:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would suggest going out a lake or pool and getting a really good roll so when you do travel to boat you wont spend all your time swimming. there are some videos and articles online that teach how to roll. and maybe get kayaking books from the library. find a friend to paddle with, preferably someone who is a good paddler. if you can find someone out there to take lessons from i strongly suggest that, its important to have a strong foundation of basic skills.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks... i will try to get one of my friends to paddle with me... like i said i live in mississippi and i cant find anybody to give lessons anywhere... but ill take a look at the articles and videos..

·
Registered
137 Posts
I never had lessons so it took me longer, but I noticed a guy come up one time with his head back on his back deck, tried it and it worked. There's a lot of stuff to do, but if your head comes up last most other stuff works. I know that's too simple, but it's the key in my opinion. [email protected]

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you go to the Ocoee area, just contact Nantahala Outdoor Center. They are one of the best anywhere and will set you up for success.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you go to the Ocoee area, just contact Nantahala Outdoor Center. They are one of the best anywhere and will set you up for success.
we only stay for 2 or 3 days and are only on the ocoee for 1 day... so i dont really have time for lessons there or anything... do i???

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like what has been said. Practice your roll in a lake until you're sick of it. Head Down!!! When you get to the river, you'll have a better chance at making it if you are in a bigger boat -- make sure that you are in a creeker, and not a small playboat. Newbies tend to "survive", rather than "perform". We are lucky here in Colorado, we get to practice alot with our buddies to help when we swim. People out here are also usually very willing to help you right there on the spot.

The river is a "different ballgame". Don't forget that... My advice on the Ocoee is simple... lean very slightly forward, and paddle hard!

Have Fun! It's a great sport!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I spent years swimming until I noticed the head thing. then I got it almost immediately. Same way with telesking, I'm too cheap for lessons so I just watch and noticed their shoulders stayed facing down hill. Noticing the details helps alot. I never met a kayaker who wouldn't help with things they notice when you roll so ask. Hope to see you out here someday and we'll boat something. Ron.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you have any advice on teaching myself how to roll

·
Registered
137 Posts
The advice boaters gave above is good. There are some great DVDS that show it. I know Jackson put one out. The problem with teaching your self is it'll turn out like with me. It's pretty well bomb proof, but you won't get any style points and I haven't learned all the different kinds of roll that people use. A good teacher would get you off side rolls, hand rolls, rodeo rolls, combat rolls, etc. Then you'd be good in any situation. When I learned there weren't dvds and nobody else around here kayaked. you have some advantages I didn't have. I'd use them to learn it right. Just my opinion, although I'd still probably do it the same way just cause I'm too cheap and independant. Ron.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thanks everybody ill check it out... what kinda boat do i get for just riding the river with maybe a little surfing.... creeker???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
here are some kayaks im thinkin about buying.. tell me what you think..

height- 5'3" - 5'4"
weight - 100 lbs. (tall and lanky)
shoe size - 8, 8.5 mens

kayaks im considering...

:: Jackson Punk Rocker ::
:: Pyranha Burn S ::
:: LL Jefe Chico (although i prob. wont be going of any water falls :]) ::
:: Pyranha Ammo S ::
:: Pyranha ReCoil S ::

Maybe a wave sport...

i am new to the sport. ( actually i have never kayaked in my life...:-] )All i mainly want to do is river running right now, playboating later when i get some experience... i would like some feed back from you to tell which of the above boats might me for me or even a different boat. i want a creeker or a river runner first for the size and stability. i have white water rafted down rivers such as the ocoee as you can tell from my previous posts. i love whitewater rafting and want to get into kayaking badly... i hope im in the right forum but if im not please redirect me... anyway.. please leave your feed back..

*sorry for the long paragraph... if youve read this far..lol

·
KDT
207 Posts
Better off starting with a river runner instead of a creeker. It'll be more stable and you can surf and play it some.

Jackson: Hero series or Fun series
LL: Remix or CR's

Jackson has a bunch of good DVD's and the crew at Nantahala (NOC) put together a pretty good one called the Kayaker's Toolbox.
Good luck and welcome to the sport.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bliss stick 175. They are cheaper and every bit as good as any above. Check Bliss-Stick for an agent near you. You can demo all you want before you buy. Ron.

·
KDT
207 Posts
Ron's right. Nothin' wrong with Bliss-Stick. They're a little harder to find and a little on the heavy side but I've got a few friends that absolutely love theirs. I assume he's talking the RAD so that would fall into the free-runner category.

And since I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, there's nothing wrong with buying used. You can save a good amount of cash that can be put towards your other necessities (helmet, pfd, paddle, drytop, etc.)

Be sure to demo before you buy (new or used). It's the only way to know if you'll really like the boat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 24 Posts