Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ran into a SAR team practicing on Clear Creek by my work and guy said a whitewater park was going in on that stretch (between Federal and Pecos). I did a search but it didn't turn up anything. Anyone have info on this?

-d

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's an Adams County and Mile High Flood District project to reconstruct a large drop structure that was previously needed to hold grade for the railroad crossing. New project will spread the large drop over several smaller drops and will function as a ww park when the flows are there.
It's in the design phase now. It'll be a lil while before construction begins. Sorry I don't have a timeline on that.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think I know the drop they would want to spread out. This is fantastic news for my lunch breaks.
-d

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Cool. That would be great to get rid of one more manky aereation structure and replace it with nice runnable drops. They really need to do something about the drop below Tennyson. It'd be awesome if Clear Creek from Golden to the Platte were runnable - but there are just so many impediments. And then there's the water quality as well...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I always thought urban Clear Creek was a badly underutilized resource.It sees some boaters on the upper part but hardly anybody on the second half.It has more reliable flows and cleaner water than the So. Platte.Water quality deteriorates in the lower part.There are scattered drops all the way[ .The one at the confluence looks interesting at some levels.Tennyson is an ugly mess .Wadsworth can be fun at medium flows, and actually gets intimidating at high flows,a ramp leads to a sticky hole, followed by a second with vicious kick into a wall, then another hole and runnout rapid,whereas most features are just drops this is a rapid.

The Bucking Bronco play spot is already in the Federal to Pecos part.So are they redoing the Train Trestle rapid or the diversion structure i think they call Shopping Cart falls or both? They sure tinker with the urban creeks and So.Platte a lot,for both better and worse boating wise.Generally the stream side aesthetics are improved but they sometimes get rid of good drops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts