Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like a cool design. Just sad to see what's happened to our nice little Steamboat Springs paddle company. The corporate monster strikes again!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oak Creek kayak company - that's where the building still stands, I think. I wonder if it Brabec is on the Buzz, he could tell some great WS stories I'm sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wave Sport started in Steambvoat in 1986. I've been with 'em ever since and proud to stil be here. There are lots of folks still with us that have been with us since the early 90's.

I could tell you every story there is. What would you like to hear?

Joel

·
Registered
40 Posts
Basically the industry went through some consolidations in 98 and 99. Dagger & Perception were bought by the bank of Islam and Watermark was formed. Confluencewatersports was formed by the merger of Mad River Canoe and Wilderness Systems and then they acquired Wave Sport in '99.
While I tend to agree with you about the east coast, it is widely accepted that the South east in particular is the hub of paddling. Great Creeking, warm water and lots of natural playwater (vs. our play parks.)

Life was good in Steamboat andWave Sport. It was a small company of dedicated Paddlers with innovative designs.
I never paddled so much with such quality as during those times.

But, it's all good. The new designs are again a leap in the next directions and I'm looking forward to the diesels and the Big South, Embudo and Crystal rivers.

Cheers,
Happy Paddling,
See you out there.

Joel
Wave Sport Sales Rep
Southern Rockies

·
Registered
40 Posts
So we think. I don't have the actual #'s, they'd be hard to get but it would seem so, although I think the best all time seller ('90- present would be Dagger's RPM. The last of the round hulls!

Favorite old Wave Sport moment:
Gore Canyon is 50 min from the old factory. The put in used to be on river right just above the first rapid or right where the race used to start.
We'd kncok off around 2pm and Bo Colbert's wife would drive shuttle for us. We'd paddl it twice. One play run. One race flash.

Now that's living!

In those days the race was about 10 paddlers, self timed (honor system!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
So we think. I don't have the actual #'s, they'd be hard to get but it would seem so, although I think the best all time seller ('90- present would be Dagger's RPM. The last of the round hulls!

Favorite old Wave Sport moment:
Gore Canyon is 50 min from the old factory. The put in used to be on river right just above the first rapid or right where the race used to start.
We'd kncok off around 2pm and Bo Colbert's wife would drive shuttle for us. We'd paddl it twice. One play run. One race flash.

Now that's living!

In those days the race was about 10 paddlers, self timed (honor system!)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Joel - Let's hear some stories of the first runs down Rock Creek or just some good R&D - boat testing - stories from back in the day. There's got to be some good carnage tales from high water Cross runs...

·
Registered
58 Posts
?

Joel, I thought chan brought WS over from England or was that just a talk.
Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
81 Posts
So what are the final numbers on the ZGs? The PDF file that Frenchy posted has different specs than Playak shows; both the gallons and lengths are different. Does WS have an ideal weight range? WS.com doesn't have anything on the ZG - just T stuff... When can we expect to see them in Colorado stores? Thanks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
East coast sucks? You can't have spent much time boating in the east. WV and the SE blow away Colorado boating. There are way more runs, they run way more often, they are warm, and they are mostly not roadside runs like out here. Did I mention that they are closer together? I might not be thrilled about living in an big east coast city, but the whitewater is 4x better out there. Oh, did I mention that the season is 12 months a year?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Many of us choose to live and boat here to avoid the elitist attitude that the east coast is know for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts