Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I am running an NRS frame on a super puma and a rowframes.com on my culebra (with hollaendar fittings) at the put in I have a really nice pivot head ratchet, with a 1/2 deep socket and a 7/16 allen socket. It works great, but takes a bunch of room. Last night I had a crazy idea, and 3 drill bits later I have something.
I took a 1/2 deep socket and cross drilled it below the square part of the socket (so it will still work with a ratchet) with a 7/16 bit, and now I can use the allen wrench as a t-handle, and work both fittings on the river with a way lighter and more compact too.

I used a drill press, a vice, and a bit of cursing to get it done. Turns out sockets are pretty hard. I also used a bit of oil and took my time, but still cooked 2 drill bits.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I did something very similar. But I added a loop of paracord and the tool lives on a cross bar under my seat. Always within reach. The cheapest chinesium sockets drill a little easier. Use low speed, good drill bits and some coolant. Have some spare bits.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had spare bits when I started, I definitely went too fast, and definitely used too high quality of a socket

1 - 5 of 5 Posts