Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been lake kayaking for a few year and some river kayaking in Michigan, I'm looking to trying out some whitewater and looking for some good spots to go that are not to challenging. Any advice would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
43 Posts
Canon City Town Run

The Canon City town run is pretty tame. Its probably a II at the high level now if you start below the play park and get out at Ash street. The water is moving right now but if you have a roll no problems.

The Greenway run in Pueblo is a great beginner run with very little to no white water. However I have seen high flows cause some problems. If you head to Canon or Pueblo private message me and I might bring my daughter or another friend.

Both are class I runs at lower flows. But there are a couple of spots to avoid and some trees on the outside corners that can become strainers if you are unwary.

These are great runs to get your slow moving river roll practice in and are more of a float trip.

Deckers, Rincon, Milkrun are all a step above these runs and are considered beginner runs with some whitewater.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I would argue Deckers is easier than all the other options you listed at current flows except maybe the Pueblo Green way, but the water is so high everywhere on the Ark right now its just not beginner friendly.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I would argue Deckers is easier than all the other options you listed at current flows except maybe the Pueblo Green way, but the water is so high everywhere on the Ark right now its just not beginner friendly.
ditto

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys, as for rolling a few lessons are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
117 Posts
some rolling advice. try it on ground frist a few times where you flip over on you back them set up, sweep, and hip snap. Also if you dont get after even "a few" dont be discouraged. It toke my dad over two years to get his role and he ended up paddling class V drops. The number one thing that helped get (and keep) my role is staying calm under water

·
Registered
329 Posts
The number one thing that helped get (and keep) my role is staying calm under water
This is key. I still panic sometimes, and afterwards am upset with myself for not staying cool. Not only do you use less oxygen when you stay calm, but you think clearly and roll with better form. This should be the golden rule of upside-down boating. I'm still learning to do it, and it seems like it only comes with experience and spending a lot of time upside-down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good thing I have no problem with being underwater. The roll from what I've seen is a weight shift and some balance, easier said than done when your getting pounded with water but the only way to learn is to try and and getting comfortable with it.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
117 Posts
also what helps me when doing my off-side roll is not to set up first but to use my momentum and scull. this also keeps me from lifting my head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts