Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to whitewater kayaking, so I am trying to soak up a lot of information from those experienced paddlers out there! I have been looking at various kayaks and was wondering what opinions are of the best beginner kayak to purchase.

Thanks and happy to be part of the forum
-Nichole

·
Registered
264 Posts
It depends, would you like to be able to surf waves or holes or simply run the river?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Assuming you just learned to roll or working on it, and have only been down the river a few times, then I'd say look at some river runners, such as the Piranha Burn, Jackson Zen, Dagger Mamba, Wavesport Diesel, LiquidLogic Remix. Demo as many of them as you can so you can find out which you prefer. Just randomly buying one is not the way to go. Most stores let you demo their boats at a reasonable fee ($10-$15 a day), and usually allow you to put the demo fees towards buying a boat when you make up your mind.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would say start in a river runner. Learn the basics including you roll, and after you get a feel for the river then decide if you wanna play boat or creek. Any beginners class would follow the same process. To me personally its all about the journey and different challenges of river running and creeking. You can pick up some good core skills in a playboat but in my opinion playboating is lame......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses. I'm definitely a newbie, but excited to get more experience. As for size, most of the ones I've looked at have been mediums. I was a little too uncomfortable in a small Jackson Karma, but not sure how sizes across manufacturers differ...if they vary a lot or just a little.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Actually I think they were asking your size, not the boat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If u were my student I would put you back in the Karma small and let you pdl around and get the feel, from memory the weight is from 80-175, would also let you try a Zen 65. They are both in your weight range and 1 creek and 1 river. Along with that the other mfgrs also have creek or river boats in a typical weight range that you could try.

Like someone else said there are many shapes, types and sizes so demo a number of them and see what feels best for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What is the advantage of the single vs the two blade paddle?
Single blade paddles are for canoeing. Two blade paddles are for kayaking.

I see you're from Dallas, Ga. I'm from Gainesville, this is my 2nd year kayaking after 2 or 3 years of canoeing. If you ever need to know about local rivers, let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts