Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the west. Came from Pennsylvania. Looking for new crew to paddle with. Class III paddler. On the east coast, I have done the following rivers:
Black Moshannon Creek
Lower Youghiogheny
Stonycreek Canyon
Slippery Rock Creek
Clear Shade Creek
Cheat Narrows
Lower Big Sandy
Lower Gauley

Payette River (Lower Main), Idaho.

Have done a few waterfalls: Ohiopyle Falls (Youghiogheny), Wonder Falls (Lower Big Sandy), Valley Falls (Tygart River).

Would like to connect with some paddlers out here in Utah.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Utah Whitewater Club

Finding serious (i.e., folks who actually go and paddle) boaters is more hit or miss in the intermountain west for a lot of reasons, including the distances involved getting to/from decent whitewater. The Weber below Henefer (to Taggarts and beyond) is closest fun stuff, Class II at best (unless releases are over 2k, which has been rare since 2011) - it's little over an hour from SLC but a tube-filled mess on summer weekends (think LDS teens and 20-somethings with beer coolers, sometimes accompanied by frowning parents...). There's a "play park" lower down in Ogden but it also needs water to be worth the trip.
Westwater is 4-5 hours and well worth it, but only 3 miles of rapids in the 16 miles from the ranger station to Cisco.
Cat is big fun but at least a 4 day trip even putting in at Potash - and 16-18 miles of rapids in the 94 miles down to North wash.
Then there's Idaho...
Point is SLC is a great place to base but it's a long way from the big fun for serious paddlers. So most trips tend to be multi-day, not a bad thing but different from east coast scene with lots of day trip options. You can PM me for more info but I'm retired from paddling, float and bloater now but still out there.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Wasatch Mountain Club is another group to hook up with. We don't have a ton of kayakers in the club, but welcome them. Just as B4otter pointed out, WMC trips are usually multi-day events. Westwater, Split Mountain, Alpine Canyon, Payette are all day runs that WMC runs as weekend trips through out the summer.

http://www.wasatchmountainclub.org/admin/menu.php?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info

I appreciate the info. And after a little research, knew that living in SLC wasn't as sweet as living in central PA where I was only hours or a day trip from great whitewater. I was spoiled.

Does everyone post impromptu trips on this site? If not, where? We have a few private facebook groups back east for planning impromptu trips. If so, could someone send me an invite? I will bring the beer to my first outing as an offering :D. PM me and I will give you my full info.

Thanks again!
Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
Steve! I knew it was you haha. Good luck finding peeps and remember us Colorado folks for boating! Headed out tomorrow for first run of the season!
-Krystal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts