Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have traveled all over the world and white water rafted a lot of countries as a tourist (Germany, Austria, Colorado, Honduras, Colombia, Philippines) and it always left me wanting longer, harder and independent. So I bought a Star raft this year and planned to do the local class II's and work my way to the III's. I am not looking to do any IV's to I get skills and maybe a class ( Can you reccomend a class for someone that wants better skills but does not want to be a guide?)

What I would like to do local:

1. Weber
2. Provo
3. Lower Bear River NOT Blacks Canyon.

Some one mentioned the Spanish Fork River .. I assume that is only good for kayaking no?

What I would like to do once my skills get better:

1. Green River (Below the Flaming Gorge Dam) I noticed it has two parts.

2. Green River (Nererati to Swasey 'seach)

3. The Colorado Daily in Moab. Went there to check it out and it seems easy enough.

4. Hoback (near Jackson on the Snake)
5. Salmon River (Stanley ID) which looked look come August yet I saw rafting companies there.

Let me know if any of these harder rivers would be too "hard".

Please pass on info on anything else close by I should check out.

My first worry is I have seen people raft the Weber but it looks low today? I planned to take people with me this weekend. How can I tell if it and other rivers nearby are raftable? What website should I check to know if the river is good for a raft?

Are any of you in Utah in the local White Water Club and does the club have rafters or is it all kayakers? Tell me what you think of it please.

If you have a FB group or other social media for connecting with local rafters let me know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How big is your raft?

Weber and Provo aren't really "raftable" except maybe in high spring runoff, which is mostly gone this year. You can get rafts on them sometimes but typically only small paddle rafts.

Top local floats to ease you in:

Green River - A, B, C Section
Colorado River Daily - Moab
Colorado River - Ruby/Horsethief Canyon
San Juan River
Snake River - Swan Valley area

With a little more experience:

Desolation Canyon (Green River)
Lodore (Green River)
Yampa River
Westwater (Colorado below Ruby/Horsethief)
Cataract (Colorado below Moab

Are you on the Wasatch Front? You pretty much need to drive a few hours from here to get a good rafting river, but there are lots of amazing options. Even more if you head further into ID, WY, or CO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hum thats what I figured from what I saw .. I guess I saw people rafting in the past latter in the year and assumed it was good.

Oh what about the Sevier River in Marysville, UT? That looks like a nice run?

I have the STAR Starlite 12 Standard Floor Raft, Its not large more of a medium.

Yes I am on the Wasatch Front and figured I would need to drive a little bit to which I am cool with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You probably want to join up with more experienced people. There are some in the Wasatch Mountain Club and various outdoor groups at the local universities, if you have any affiliation with those.

This year they won't be doing much because of social distancing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
you didn't say if you are paddle rafting or running a frame and oars. Spanish fork is Kayak only and very short. not worth the effort. I would put the Green below flaming gorge as a good beginner run not something you need to work up too considering your experience. the Green daily(nephrititi to swasey) and a good beginner run too. Provo is a fun paddle raft run. you can also paddle raft the San Rafael (if/ when it flows)

check out the American White water page for current and recomended flows.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A drive to western Colorado but Ruby/Horsethief is a great, first time, multi-day trip.
Here in the Grand Valley there are 8 different public access points on the Colorado. Could easily be a multi-day with camping! Of course, there are plenty of hotels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Labyrinth

Howdy Spiral,
Welcome to the Wasatch Front. I concur with the consensus above. Green ABC, Moab and GR dailies are good places to start. Ruby is a pretty flatwater section, too.
Another great option is the Green River through Labyrinth canyon. It's flat water the whole way, but the scenery is world class. You can start at either the town of Green River, or at Ruby Ranch. The take out is Mineral Bottom. It's a nice way to get a multi day trip under your belt.
The San Juan is a good permitted section to aim for as a beginner, too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
All good suggestions. The problem as a broad generalization with rafts on the small Utah rivers (San Rafael, Weber, Provo, Sevier, Bear, etc is that they don't have much room to maneuver, require high runoff or storm flow, and often have fence and wood problems. These rivers are overlooked or very seldom in play for local boaters for good reason - just because they are small doesn't mean they are easy. Popular rivers are popular for a reason.

I suggest work on getting permits in January and for now look at unpermitted stretches on the Green, Snake, and Colorado. And seek out others to boat with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts