Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15' inflatable raft and 12' two person IK with gear for multi-day trips
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all - we've been rafting for some time now but just now joining MB - looking forward to getting some tips and hopefully some friends. Family of 5 - wife & I in 40's with 3 kids ages 8-13. Live in WY with 15' raft and 2-person IK. Have rafted Ruby/Westwater, Lodore, Deso/Grey, San Juan, North Platte & Green below flaming gorge. Looking to add to that list! - especially up for family trips with other kids. Have a line on a San Juan trip in early April (Mex Hat - Clay Hills)...

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Welcome to MTN BUZZ, Be sure to post on trip planner forum if you have trip openings for a family. There are a lot of rafting families on Buzz like me and my family but, my kids are older than you.

Reactions: MNichols

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to MTN BUZZ, Be sure to post on trip planner forum if you have trip openings for a family. There are a lot of rafting families on Buzz like me and my family but, my kids are older than you.
Thanks! Will do for the trip. Looking forward to getting to know some more folks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Feel like an idiot, but I don't see a forum called Trip Planner Forum. Can you point a blind person in the right direction on this? The lottery gods smiled on us - for once...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Feel like an idiot, but I don't see a forum called Trip Planner Forum. Can you point a blind person in the right direction on this? The lottery gods smiled on us - for once...
Whitewater Rafting -> Trip Planner

I’ll be watching for it. Skunked on permits this year. (2) kids <10yo

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I personally check it frequently, one caveat is there are a lot of "someone dropped out and I have a space launching tomorrow" trips.. I can be ready to go on short notice, but some of them don't allow time to vet the participants, and after being on a couple of "nightmare" trips due to one asshat, I always feel the need to do due diligence.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally check it frequently, one caveat is there are a lot of "someone dropped out and I have a space launching tomorrow" trips.. I can be ready to go on short notice, but some of them don't allow time to vet the participants, and after being on a couple of "nightmare" trips due to one asshat, I always feel the need to do due diligence.
Any tips for what type of due diligence you do, especially if people aren't in your neck of the woods so you can't physically meet up beforehand? In my experience, asshattery and the ability for self-reflection do not go hand in hand.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I’ve never needed to add someone without time to have good discussions with. Actually I’ve never “needed” to add others but wanted to. That’s seemed to have been enough but maybe I’m lucky. If there is any kind of a funny feeling I move on. I guess there would be more pressure if an additional person was actually a need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are your red flags? We usually raft in a bigger family group when it's calm, but anything with class III or above scares our family rafters and we've been rafting solo. Would like to bring some others along.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
What are your red flags? We usually raft in a bigger family group when it's calm, but anything with class III or above scares our family rafters and we've been rafting solo. Would like to bring some others along.
the red flags aren't always obvious.

But references (even informal) are worthwhile. Example would be the FB Grand Canyon participants needed and MF/Main/Hells/Selway trip participants needed groups. You'll frequently see someone posting that they're interested and it's good to see several other people reply to their post ("Oh yeah, absolutely invite Joe, he's awesome!!")

and if you post on here, check the respondents' other posts on here. Do they have an attitude and philosophy you'd enjoy for a week or a weekend?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeah, attitude/philosophy that makes someone a good person to be around is a big one.

And for me, red flags also vary depending on what sort of a trip we're going on. If I'm bringing my kids, I prefer partners who solidly know what they're doing - I don't have the bandwith for instruction. Safety-consciousness is important. I also wouldn't be compatible on those trips with someone who is focused more on the party than the boating. If we're doing a Class II float I won't begrudge someone having a beer while they rig, but if a fifth of jack is gone by the time we push off, there's likely a compatibility problem.

I also think finding people that are in-sync in terms of collaboration is important. Is there a trip leader or is it a democracy among co-equals? Etc.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I don't mind being the "old guy" with a bunch of 30-somethings and I know they're probably going to drink a lot of beer in camp. If I otherwise like the crew, I'll willingly join but bring earplugs. And if the rest of the crew is solid boaters, this is often the trip to bring a beginner.

If I'm bringing my kids...I'll more likely invite another family with kids and probably some retired-types. Beer consumption will be more minimal, but multi-generational trips are awesome, both the kids and the older boaters have something special they bring to the other.

Overnights are crazy easy for coordination/collaboration compared to multidays. For a multiday, you really need a single trip leader, even if a lot of decisions are made by consensus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a middle fork permit for July 9th. Have you run that one before?

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Any tips for what type of due diligence you do, especially if people aren't in your neck of the woods so you can't physically meet up beforehand? In my experience, asshattery and the ability for self-reflection do not go hand in hand.
I like to talk to folks, get a feeling for their personality, and as well set forth some of MY expectations for the trip, interaction, alcohol, drugs and such. Alcohol and drug fueled trips and I don't really get along well together. As well, people with "extreme" personalities are usually a red flag, the river seems to amplify these. Lastly, I always ask about electronics. I'm personally not into boom boxes and things of that nature in my nature so to speak. Don't care if you do, but I'd rather not hear it. I DO heartily enjoy human powered music such as a guitar or harmonica. I will say I'll draw the line at an accordion LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts