Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
over the horizon
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New wood has fallen across the Roaring Fork 1/2 mile below the Slaughterhouse put-in. It is a large cottonwood, river-wide. This is just above the calm stretch preceeding Slaughterhouse Falls.

·
Registered
573 Posts
More info from pitkinalert.org

Attention Rafters/kayakers, there is a large tree down in the river just above Slaughterhouse Falls, making the river unnavigable. Raft companies will clear the tree when water level has dropped and safe to do so.

·
over the horizon
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correction: it's a spruce. Wouldn't want anyone to think I don't know my dendrology.

·
Registered
573 Posts
With the high flows again last night this tree has completely moved and is no longer a hazzard. It has moved below to the left of the boulder garden and appears to be far enough river left not to cause problems.

·
Registered
494 Posts
There was also a log across most of the river below the bridge. You could pass it on the far left yesterday. It too may have moved.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you are talking about the low bridge behind the airport, that log is still there today unforetunately.

·
over the horizon
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yet more wood on 'House. River wide strainer at Entrance Exam. Previous wood is still just below Stein bridge, as reported above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The AWR crew went in and got the log below the bridge today and is going after the one above entrance tomorrow. Thanks again Dan and Greg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is slaughterhouse raftable now? I have been waiting for the right water levels and now that it has hit I heard about the strainer. I have a brand new 12' Tributary that I would love to get on slaughterhouse with. Any info would be great. Also I paddled it once but never guided it. If anyone wants to run this within the next 2-4 days send me a message. I am a third year guide of Glenwood Springs and I normally run Shoshone. I can read the river well, but it doesn't hurt to follow someone on your first run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts