Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the most impressive interactive river tools I have come across. All the dates down the right are hot links that throw up graphing for that year when you click on them. The little window at the bottom lets you use the sliders to zero in on a particular time range. Pretty easy to read too. I am not often amazed by something the gov't creates on a website but someone got this right.

Middle Fork.

They have one for the Selway too.

Found something for Colorado

From this page. The red links in the upper right.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The snow to flow graphs originated from Beau Uriona when he was at the NRCS. Beau is a boater. He made us here on MB aware of his really kool work back in 2018. He transferred to the BofR in about 2019 and the Snow to Flow graphs no longer updated past that date. He or associates of his reactivated the graphs at the Bureau of Reclamation and that is great to see.

There is a navigator to the rest of the graphs here:

Below are some past discussions that include StF on MB.

My flow report also fast links to the StF graphs. No links to the new website will be available until tomorrow. The latest flow report is here.

To get to an individual StF for a river click on the "0" hyperlink shown at the tip of the red arrow below.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad you all like them! I actually just took a job back with snow survey (where I actually wrote this snow to flow code) so hopefully we can get is hosted over there again, given the data is all coming from the NRCS awdb database. Either way, I'll make sure we maintain links at both BOR and NRCS. Also, I've been busy at BOR and there are some other tools y'all might find useful.

hydroData gage data and hydroData reservoir data, basin current status maps, hydroData beta site for Missouri Basin sites

In particular this gives you good access to the upstream SNOTELs of any given gage or reservoir as well as full period of record data sets for a multitude of datatypes (depends on the site). For example, the since the San Juan was referenced above:

San Juan @ Bluff dashboard and Navajo Reservoir dashboard

I've been trying to get the other regions (PNW and Missouri basin) to add their data but not sure they'll sign up before I'm out the door.

I start back with NRCS this summer so expect more dirty river rat centric products this fall ;) - I wrote charts like this Lower San Juan SWE chart which are now tied into the NRCS iMap too dig in! So many ways to geek out and avoid work leading up to a trip, tell your boss I'm sorry for your lack of productivity. Shoot me ideas/comments, I build em but I'm kind of too close to them to see the flaws anymore.

I hope y'all got all the permits you could deal with, cheers!

Beau

·
Registered
461 Posts
Cool data geek site. Now what does it mean? Looks to me that the run-off is significantly ahead of last years? I also think the snow-pack is about "normal" ? Does that mean that we will probably have an early peak - if I'm reading it right it's projecting a flow on June 1 of 5-7K? Important to me because I have a May 30 permit

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best comparable year so far is 2007. Click on that year and it will overlay. Pretty sure you will be down to under 3K cfs. Hopefully not too much lower but I have seen the bottom drop out before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts