Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
300 sold in US and Canada since February? 3 in Rifle? Someone here's gotta have one.

Please River Gods, make this an awesome thread. lots of fighting, bad-mouthing and name-calling would be a splendid way to start my Tuesday!

Clearly a better boat than Saturn, Star and Vanguard :cool::D:rolleyes::-x:-( (pick one)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Looks Good

These look like the real deal. With a 5 yr warranty, I might take a chance, especially since they weld their seems instead of glue like the cheaper boats. Btw Saturns suck, for the same money why not buy one of Aires or NRS's cheaper brand boats with a better warranty and quality company to back it up.

Anyone know about these? look like saturn killers to me. Welded PVC!

Joe?? stickin' it to the saturn guy?

Brand New Rocky Mtn. Raft

·
Registered
471 Posts
I got a new 14.5' 2011 saturn for $1400. It is going to be a loaner and I am happy with it so far. the price point on a RockyM still aren't quite there for the casual cruiser trying to avoid a 3x per year rental fee.

if a 13' rocky mountain raft is $2000 in the first year of production the 14' is going to be 2200-2400 and there is still some risk.
I'll bet in a few years they are $3000 like everything else.

that being said I'm all for a welded value priced boat. I hope they are sweet and someone on here has more feedback.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder how RM will price them? To me the welded I-beam floor, welded seams and Leafield C7 valves and 5 year warranty would be worth the extra $500.

Wonder where they are made?

·
sh$t show voyeuor/host
285 Posts
RM vs. Saturn death match!
And thank you RM guy for upping the ante while pointing out and improving all the sh!t that we have been complaining about in the Saturn construction. I hope they turn out to be as good as they look. Actually the look is kind of reminiscent of an NRS(?). Is there a bucket floor option? What is the weight and denier of the fabric? I love my Aires, but I must admit this has me highly intrigued.

·
Super Moderator
4,206 Posts
Thoughts on the new Rocky Mountain Raft line

Joe loaned me a 12' SB to take on Westwater a couple of weeks ago. I had a buddy of mine row it through the rapids since I had a friend's wife on my boat and absolutely did not want her to swim. Here are my thoughts on the new Rocky Mountain Raft line:

For an inexpensive boat, its pretty beefy. I was glad Joe helped me hoist it into the bow of my trailered boat for the trip out. I once had a little 12' SOTAR that was seemed light enough to carry it under my arm - that ain't the case with this boat.

When we unrolled it and aired it up, the first thing I noticed was that its got an underside like elephant hide and has a chafer pad all the way around the top of the tubes - good reinforcement everywhere you'd want it. Just like my Vanguard except the topside of the RM floor seems like a thicker material than the VG. The RM base fabric for the tubes is 1100 denier. And I love the Leafield valves. The thwarts were also a cinch to pull out with the bat and batten-type attachment system - no lacing, or hard plastic knuckles and pin to deal with.

We carried it down to the water to rig and the handles are really sweet - like the ones on an NRS, I think - with rubber grips. The other rafters I met up with at the ranger station were impressed with the heft of the boat, especially when I told them its a $2K self-bailer - these are a couple of guys who have been running rivers since the 70s.

When I rowed it, the boat tracked well and was really maneuverable. Then again, after rowing a loaded 14' boat, any lightly loaded 12' would be like a sports car, but it still seemed really sweet. About the only downside is that the floor seemed a little soft when the PRV maxed out and started to bleed. Joe says this production run came with 2 psi PRVs and they're going to put in a higher-rated PRV in the next shipment (2.75?). With the welded I-beams it probably won't have any problem holding 2.5 or 3 psi. The floor's old school laced in instead of glued. I like this because if you ever need to replace a glued in floor it seems like you've got a lot of work for your glue sniffer to do instead of just ordering a new one and stitching it in with webbing.

There seems like a lot of room in the raft with a fair bit of freeboard below the top of the tubes for stowing gear. There are also lots of D-rings though the ones where the kick starts on each end could be angled instead of straight up to better secure a frame with front to back tension. The kick's good but not too high - it'll punch through waves rather than get stalled as easily. I don't know all the specs but it seems like a really well-designed boat.

Years ago when when I had a (really) old PVC Maravia I heard that most holes in PVC boats come from abrasion wear during transport - a carry cover comes standard with the boat which is a nice bonus.

Below is a shot of my buddy Eric on Bowling Alley in the Rocky Mountain boat. He did really well for a kayaker whose sprayskirt might have finally shrunk too much for him. Nailed the meat on Sock it to Me as well and came through everything with the blue side up. Eric said when he hit the wave at SITM the boat completely filled with water but then drained really quick.

Joe was saying they wanted to build an inexpensive boat that was well constructed. From everything I've seen and know about the boats, I think they've done that. He said they've almost sold out of their first run and I don't think it'll take long to move the next shipment.

-AH

·
Shapp
1,871 Posts
Dam not much I can bitch about except the foreign VS. US argument that has been pretty well covered, seems like they got the construction dialed in well

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks like Riverboat Works is selling them at an intro price.

9' RMR Self Bailing $1899 Introductory Price-$1499
12' RMR Self Bailing $2399 Introductory Price-$1899
13' RMR Self Bailing $2499 Introductory Price-$1999
14' RMR Self Bailing $2699 Introductory Price-$2199
16' RMR Self Bailing $2999 Introductory Price-$2499

Rocky Mountain Rafts Self-Bailing

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just went to the RMrafts site and they don't have the boats listed (but they do have the other brands they carry)....any idea what's up with that?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just went to the RMrafts site and they don't have the boats listed (but they do have the other brands they carry)....any idea what's up with that?
There is a Rm rafts out of Colorado springs that is different than these guys.

Poor Planning, perhaps?

Secondly... How many chambers? Is there a bladder system in these tubes like other higher end PVC boats (JPW, Aire etc.)?

·
Registered
332 Posts
These new rafts are the real deal! They are an expedition grade PVC raft, in my opinion, that will last any private owner his or her lifetime! I know a few industry veterans who've had their heads inside every raft manufactured that is no longer in business and still are, and they're impressed with these new rafts.

I'm seriously considering getting a smaller model to keep at the cabin in Idaho to run daily trips.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's the same guys as RMRafts. I believe they are trying to sell them thru reps sorta like Maravia style. They don't have bladders. Sorta like high end plastic boats like Maravia, Sotar, Wing, etc. My prototype has 4 plus the floor and thwarts. Like I said, it's a very nice boat, and they made improvements between then and now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts