Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, launching May 19th and have been hearing reports of a new rapid at Steer Ridge that is a bit sketchy. If anybody has some good intel on this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
240 Posts
FB post on "Utah Rafters" this morning.

Deso Ranger clarification: “Deso Ranger here… Just got out on Monday running at approximately 4500cfs. The rock fall occurred sometime in the early spring and so far has not caused any issues that we’ve heard of… There is one rock in the line that at higher water could pose a wrap hazard or could be a boat ripper… Would recommend scouting especially as levels rise.”

·
Registered
568 Posts
Copied from a Facebook post.

BE ADVISED - DESO - Potential Rockfall Hazard @ Steer Ridge

Received the following In-Reach messages this morning from a friend with over 100 Deso trips:

“Deso- new rockfall @ Steer Ridge. Exposed rocks blocking run. Pin/rip haz. Scout advised. We didn't scout. Had a semi clean run. 4-5 moves. Sketchyasf. kayak dude in front of us, scouted and has multiple rips. We gave him repair stuff and beer.”

I already contacted the BLM river office. Stay frosty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it must be pretty fresh as reports form early April say it wasn't there. I'll for sure be scouting. I like to rip many things, but a boat ain't one of them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just got off the river last Friday. It was my first Deso trip so I have no baseline, but nothing jumped out as too problematic, or unannounced to me, the rapid is in the guidebook, so at least I was expecting something to pay attention to. River was maybe around 4k on the day we were there (25th) dunno how to interpret flows between gauges. I think this is Steer Ridge, where I caught an eddy behind a little rock midriver at the bottom and took a video of the other two boats in our group a Aire Puma and 16ft Star Outlaw. I don't know how to post video though. Maybe the flow bump hid what is being mentioned? You can see evidence of freshish slide on right side of photo, maybe that darkest boulder is part of that?
Water Water resources Sky Cloud Mountain
Water Water resources Plant community Boat Fluvial landforms of streams

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got off the river last Friday. It was my first Deso trip so I have no baseline, but nothing jumped out as too problematic, or unannounced to me, the rapid is in the guidebook, so at least I was expecting something to pay attention to. River was maybe around 4k on the day we were there (25th) dunno how to interpret flows between gauges. I think this is Steer Ridge, where I caught an eddy behind a little rock midriver at the bottom and took a video of the other two boats in our group a Aire Puma and 16ft Star Outlaw. I don't know how to post video though. Maybe the flow bump hid what is being mentioned? You can see evidence of freshish slide on right side of photo, maybe that darkest boulder is part of that?
View attachment 76165 View attachment 76166
That’s good info. Thanks for posting! Being that it’s new and relatively unknown anything we can get is good info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts