Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just heard from a friend that over the winter Deso developed a new rapid that is potentially Class IV. Just wondering if anyone knows if this is actually
true?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Joe Hutch Canyon flash flooded last August, which has made (from trip reports since then) the Joe Hutch Canyon rapid more difficult - the BLM now calls it a solid class III, but it's just now being seen with high water for the first time. I'm looking forward to seeing it myself here in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We just ran it about a week ago at about 12,000 cfs. We ran left of center to avoid a large hole on river right and then moved towards the center to avoid pour overs and rocks on the left. It did not seem that difficult (maybe a 6 or 7 on the desert scale) but it would probably be a good idea to scout it. At 10-15k cfs its definitely the biggest rapid in DesoGray.

You can't really see the line but I included a photo anyway.

Have a great trip!

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
great photo- look like a blast!!
im heading to deso on friday morning, and will certainly take plenty of photos as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe Hutch Canyon

I'm running it the second week in June. When you get back would you let me know how it goes for you? Thanks. Have a great trip.

Joe Hutch Canyon flash flooded last August, which has made (from trip reports since then) the Joe Hutch Canyon rapid more difficult - the BLM now calls it a solid class III, but it's just now being seen with high water for the first time. I'm looking forward to seeing it myself here in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We just ran it about a week ago at about 12,000 cfs. We ran left of center to avoid a large hole on river right and then moved towards the center to avoid pour overs and rocks on the left. It did not seem that difficult (maybe a 6 or 7 on the desert scale) but it would probably be a good idea to scout it. At 10-15k cfs its definitely the biggest rapid in DesoGray.

Have a great trip!
Sounds awesome. Thanks

·
We launch on Monday and I'm guessing that we will scout Joe Hutch. I'll try and get some photos up when we return.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Along with the photos that I'll take here in 2 weeks, I'm also going to shoot some HD video, which of course I'll share (if I can find someplace to host HD video....)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got a June 18th launch, so I'm also excited to see any more pictures, tips, etc.

We're taking some little ones down the river, so any tips will be appreciated.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
vimeo.com
vimeo isnt all that great for HD unless you spring for the Vimeo PLUS package. they only let you upload one HD vid per week with the free account. if you upgrade you get unlimited HD uploads, so long as it doesnt top the 8 gb a week upload limit.

ive got the basic but im going to upgrade as soon as I have the funds for it, i love my basic vimeo, but the plus is going to really kick ass! i cant wait....

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Thanks for the photos. We're going in September, and it's nice to see that it will be easy for our scardy-cat dogs to walk the rapid. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
More picts

Have a great trip!
Here is a link to better picts of the rapid taken from river left on our early-may trip (~12,000 cfs). Some close ups of the river right holes too.

http://tiny.cc/FHR7Y

enjoy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Awesome picture! Did you pull out river left after the rapid and walk back up to take that picture, or pull out above the rapid?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Awesome picture! Did you pull out river left after the rapid and walk back up to take that picture, or pull out above the rapid?
We were on a geology research trip - we camped above the rapid on the left and hiked up to look at rocks which happened to give the prefect view of the rapid. The picts are from a fellow geologist.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We were on a geology research trip - we camped above the rapid on the left and hiked up to look at rocks which happened to give the prefect view of the rapid. The picts are from a fellow geologist.
How far above the rapid on the left did you camp? When I was down last year, I don't remember seeing any good campsites through there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How far above the rapid on the left did you camp? When I was down last year, I don't remember seeing any good campsites through there.
I don't remember but the camp was marginal. We needed to camp there to get the research done. The camp worked but was nothing special.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts