Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an electric pump and a K-pump 100. I'm tired of the K-100 requiring so many strokes to top up tubes on 14' & 16', but it's great for IK and SUP.

Looking at K-400, DRE 4", Carlson 4" as well as the smaller models of all three (K-40 and the shorties).

Ideally this pump would travel with me on the boat instead of the K-100 so size is important but I'm not terribly worried about any of these being "too large".

I'd like the pump primarily for topping up tubes but on the rare occasion be capable of inflating a whole boat without too much trouble.

Questions: Are the shorties (K-40, Carlson shorty, DRE shorty) able to handle a whole boat reasonably well? Is the space savings of the shorty more valuable than reduced capacity? Which would you buy in my situation and why?

Thanks and cheers!

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
I own a normal 4" Carlson, been a great pump for topping my 14', not terrible for inflating with if I have to, lives in dry box for multi day's. Solid construction.
Get a full size 4" for multi day's when you will actually be using it, keep your K-100 for day trips and your IK, since it's packs down better then probably anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I carry a K-200 on an AIRE 156d and love it. A few more strokes to top off but it sure doesn't take up much space in the gear pile. A buddy carries a K-400 and has had issues. This may be due to the dual option air chamber. My vote goes for the K-200.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I use a k-200 also for my 15' works well. I also have a $20 12volt inflator for volume when I need it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
IMHO, the 4" Carlson or DRE are the way to go. AAA makes a good one too. The shorties are kind of a pain , but will get the job done. All are easier to inflate a boat than trying it with a K pump.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use a k-200 also for my 15' works well. I also have a $20 12volt inflator for volume when I need it.

I love my DRE, it works and has replacement seals in the bottom if you need it and it's not working.

Where'd you get a $20 12v inflator? I need one for the car and garage.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love my DRE, it works and has replacement seals in the bottom if you need it and it's not working.

Where'd you get a $20 12v inflator? I need one for the car and garage.
http://www.amazon.com/AIRHEAD-AHP-12HP-High-Pressure-Pump/dp/B000OF92KA

This is the universally recommended 12v pump and is about as cheap as I could imagine one could be sold for. I have no idea what kind of $20 option exists, but would also like to know.

I'll add that the 12v I linked to here does not work well in cold temperatures--snapped the flexible hose in half on a 30F day a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
861 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I prefer the K-200. We have it on every multiday trip. I would stay away from the NRS Wonder pump. I sold mine after the first trip. I agree with others that the 4" barrel pump is also a good option, but I personally think it is too large to carry on the boat instead if leave in the truck. If you have the option to fill with a vehicle at put in, the NRS Blast pump fills my 15ft pretty quick. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Don't run a 12v with the engine running- the alternator output is too high and the pump gets fried prematurely. They last a lot longer if you have a dedicated 12v battery.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
861 Posts
Don't run a 12v with the engine running- the alternator output is too high and the pump gets fried prematurely. They last a lot longer if you have a dedicated 12v battery.

Would have never thought but makes sense.

·
Registered
970 Posts
In my youth, I could inflate a 14' raft with a 4" barrel pump as fast as a metro pump could do it. Now I just use the metro until it whines a little, then top it off with the K-Pump. Same amount of time with quite a bit less work. I can still win the race to inflate one chamber. :)

The double action wonder pump is worthless as far as raft inflation goes, but they are perfect for IK's and SUPs and they are kid friendly. I have found them most useful for deflating paco pads in the times I roll them up and wish to reduce their bulk. They also can stoke a pile of coals to make them ready to cook on in 10 minutes. (don't melt the nozzle!)

The 5" barrel pump would make for about the same amount of work on a 16' raft as the 4" on a 14' raft.

So like everything, there is the right tool for every job.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Prefer my 4" Carlson over K pumps any day. Prefer being able to put it on the ground and use my body weight to get air into the tubes, and especially true when I'm tired. Using a hand style pump just doesn't appeal to me that much, but they do work just not as efficiently. Also have a DRE pump that is very similar to the Carlson that I use but doesn't pack as well as the base is a little oversized, so the Carlson gets used more often.

Hope this helps!

Ps-remember this when it comes to pumps, high volume equals low pressure; low volume equals high pressure. So if you have an electric pump you will always need a top off pump. Plus the electric pumps hardly work well out on the river, so buy a pump that does the job on the river!

·
Sponsoring Vendors
37 Posts
Hello in Missoula!

I will try and help with your pump dilemma...if you are mainly topping off (and only fully inflating in case of emergency) and space is a concern then one of the shorty's would be the way to go. The Downriver shorty is just over "20 tall, which is a little shorter than the Carlson.

The warranties are the same (10 years) and replacement parts easily accessible). I personally deal with the guys at Downriver and they stand behind the products they produce. Also, the Downriver shorty pump is about $20 cheaper than the Carlson shorty pump, so if you have to have one shipped the cost will offset.

·
Registered
30 Posts
An old river rat got me going on a reverse flow shop vac and I have never been happier. Granted taking a shop vac to the put in is a pain, but if you fill it at home it is really fast and puts less wear and tear on your portable electric pumps.

I have a barrel pump, a k-pump and an NRS Blast. All have their advantages, but I am a huge fan of using the shop vac to inflate and deflate while at home.

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
An old river rat got me going on a reverse flow shop vac and I have never been happier. Granted taking a shop vac to the put in is a pain, but if you fill it at home it is really fast and puts less wear and tear on your portable electric pumps.

I have a barrel pump, a k-pump and an NRS Blast. All have their advantages, but I am a huge fan of using the shop vac to inflate and deflate while at home.
I take a little 1.5HP shopvac (powered off an inverter) for filling up at the put in, and carry a 4" carlson to top off, and carry on the river. lots of places to put a pump on a boat. doesn't bother me to carry it. and the shopvac takes a lot of work out of the fill up process.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up getting the DRE 4" barrel pump based off price and reviews. The electric pump is still my workhorse and the K-pump 100 still has it's place for top up. Seemed like this was the best middle ground for my needs. Thanks for the advice, cheers.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Be sure you have the right connection for all your valves. DRE metal tip won't fit on some older styles. Duct tape saved my ass one day...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts