Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Many of you have seen the VolCANno Portable Campfire in action so I thought it was time to bring it to the crucible that is Mountain Buzz. I have learned so much from you over the years and I trust your opinions. Thank you for taking a look and I am happy to set up a demo day if anyone wants to check it out. Maybe we can do it somewhere we can go boatin' too.

Here are a few of FAQs:
1. It is fully propane. You could put wood in it but it would negate the best part...number 2
2. Everywhere we have tested it, it has passed Stage 2 fire bans. On paper, it passes but we were concerned that we would run into issues county by county. So far, no problems, tickets or warnings.
3. It's not fully waterproof (it is very water-resistant) yet but it does float. I'm hoping to find the right high-heat mastic to make it truly waterproof.
4. It can use any propane container with the adaptor.

Fair warning, I am sold out right now but I'll have more in stock soon. I was a little overwhelmed by the excitement around it.

www.volcannofire.com

OK, let the questions/ suggestions commence!

Thank you!!

Josh

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very very cool. I will be buying one. This thing will kill it in the ski parking lot.
Thank you! Many folks bought them just for tailgating. Just be careful if you end up with a Tabletop. It gets HOT! At the top of the can, it can be 1000 degrees. The bottom generally maxes out around 200F. I will be selling pieces of branded leather to put down under the Tabletop. They look cool and protect surfaces. I have used the Tabletop on my truck tailgate while getting dressed to paddle and it was great.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Is there some kind of protective cap/cover for the gas fitting? It looks awfully vulnerable to damage or contamination just jutting out there in the open.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there some kind of protective cap/cover for the gas fitting? It looks awfully vulnerable to damage or contamination just jutting out there in the open.

Rich Phillips
Yes sir. It comes with a cap. I am working on a slick way to attach the cap to the NPT fitting. That said, the design is pretty impervious to grit, water, and other debris. I have filled it with sand, poured out the sand, rinsed it in the river and lit it with no problem. I smashed the shit out of the second prototype (I threw it off a cliff) and it was good to go. Everything was built with toughness in mind.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Love the idea, I have used the Camp Chef Compact Fire ring and it was always a pain the in the ass to rig and you would lose the lave rocks everywhere.

Reactions: joshfromdc

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love the idea, I have used the Camp Chef Compact Fire ring and it was always a pain the in the ass to rig and you would lose the lave rocks everywhere.
Thanks, Josh! That was really why I built it. All the other options suck for boating.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Rich Phillips
I like the idea of protecting the fitting more. You may see it recessed in the future or some kind of cage. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
thanks for the info.

I have interest

doing a modification to protect that external valve is key for me as far as purchase. That would make the 20mm rocket box fit my raft setup a lot better if the valve was inside the rocket box.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet unit! Do you have any estimates on burn rates? (ie 11lb tank lasts ____ hours)
Thanks! I'm obligated to say, "That's what she said."

Now, with that out of the way, our testers are getting 4-5 hours of medium burn out of a 1lb tank. It's tough to nail down burn times because we are having a tough time controlling for "amount of fire." There are many variables out of my control right now (ambient temp, canister loads, etc). I will keep working on this. One thing has been universal...that it sips gas and is very efficient.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think you need some legs, One of the reasons for fire blankets are to prevent sterilizing the soil under a traditional fire pan. The heat kills all the microorganisms leaving a patch of dead soil. Just think if every party at a popular camp killed a different small patch of soil and you get the reason why. Legs keep the heat off the soil. Not sure the leather coaster will fill the bill for the Forest Service. I also use the Camp Chef and have found it to be a game changer for shoulder season raft or bike trips. Can use a lot of propane on high, the trick is to lower the flame to a reasonable level.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you need some legs, One of the reasons for fire blankets are to prevent sterilizing the soil under a traditional fire pan. The heat kills all the microorganisms leaving a patch of dead soil. Just think if every party at a popular camp killed a different small patch of soil and you get the reason why. Legs keep the heat off the soil. Not sure the leather coaster will fill the bill for the Forest Service. I also use the Camp Chef and have found it to be a game changer for shoulder season raft or bike trips. Can use a lot of propane on high, the trick is to lower the flame to a reasonable level.
Legs are in the works! It may be a little while before we get there with the tabletop. The big one stays cool on the bottom. We are finding folks want to use the small one on the ground too. Good suggestion! I really want to meet LNT requirements. I am also working on a tripod for your dutch oven or just cooking. I considered creating something that hangs the Volcanno off the ground as well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Cool beans Josh. You in the Roaring Fork Valley? I'm an engineer and lots of propane experience if you want to talk about anything PM me. For instance, based on the flame color I think you are running a little rich which leads to incomplete combustion = smell. Can't say for sure from a pic but just an observation. Good idea and wish you sucess

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool beans Josh. You in the Roaring Fork Valley? I'm an engineer and lots of propane experience if you want to talk about anything PM me. For instance, based on the flame color I think you are running a little rich which leads to incomplete combustion = smell. Can't say for sure from a pic but just an observation. Good idea and wish you sucess
I may take you up on that. I have tested numerous configurations with air mixers and most made it too "stove" like. There is no smell per se. Just a little soot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This should work to raise the Volcanno
When I get mine I think this will work.
Portable campfire grill
MC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.