Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bored with Foxton and the various Poudre runs (Narrows not included), looking for a not too agro step up and folks to boat it with. Boating 36 years with lots of class V experience, first descents in CA, NZ etc, still have the skills thought he years add up, just a bit rusty in the head recently. My only boating buds are all intermediates. Like to get out and on something that feels like a creek with some gradient. Been on Gore, Arkansas, Slaughterhouse and a few others in the past. Lots of the front range stuff seems pretty full on to me. Are there some good runs where a portage or two turns it into good IV-V? Rapid pool? I can go any day of the week. Good safety/medical skills.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Don't you dare speak that way about the Poudre,son.

I'd insert an emoticon here but they all suck. Cant we get rid of these queery smiley faces and get some with hell horns flying the bird.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'd say bailey and black rock are the two front range runs you are looking for. Both are mostly IV to IV+. Both have two V-/V rapids (depending on levels) that you can scout and walk if needed. Both have big daddy V/V+ to run or gape at the fury.

Both have some tighter technical lines, and both are kick ass fun and running now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no offense intended, spent lots of time on the Poudre in college

Just found it to be a big wave train crankin' downstream at the earlier flows. I like big rocks and drops and eddies to play with

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
stick to the poudre

stick to the poudre you want something more than the lower poudre hit up big south or run the narrows more!

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you paddle around Golden long enough you'll meet the guys who run Black Rock regularly and those are probably the guys you are looking for if paddling with your regular crew is not pushing you enough. Black Rock is at 566 and on its way down. This is the time for first-timers to hit it. Pretty soon it won't be real Black Rock and it will be too late. If I were you I'd post on the Trip Planner with a request for someone to take a virgin down Black Rock (I'm assuming you haven't run Black Rock yet if you are complaining about boring runs around here).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you paddle around Golden long enough you'll meet the guys who run Black Rock regularly and those are probably the guys you are looking for if paddling with your regular crew is not pushing you enough. Black Rock is at 566 and on its way down. This is the time for first-timers to hit it. Pretty soon it won't be real Black Rock and it will be too late. If I were you I'd post on the Trip Planner with a request for someone to take a virgin down Black Rock (I'm assuming you haven't run Black Rock yet if you are complaining about boring runs around here).

No complaints about lots of wild stuff, just looking to fit in the right slot after some time away. The step up seems a big one around here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hoping there's more

No complaints about lots of wild stuff, just looking to fit in the right slot after some time away. The step up seems a big one around here.

Than just Black Rock and Bailey that fits into what I'm looking for. Pic's of Cheeseman look like what I'm talking about, though that may be too tough for my taste.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
then go do numbers at 900, creeky kinda feel without being tough

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
F-in picky about your runs, no? You want something IV-Vish near the Front Range, pool drop character, and not on the Poudre, Arkansas, Colorado, S. Platte, or Clear Creek? In fact you prefer something with drops like Cheeseman, but without the difficulty. I'm thinking a plane ticket to Never Never Land might be order.

I suggest you go over to eddyflower.com, read through all the run descriptions, and if there's something that fits the bill, post here about it, because there's probably a lot of people that would be interested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I'm just not sure what's out there

F-in picky about your runs, no? You want something IV-Vish near the Front Range, pool drop character, and not on the Poudre, Arkansas, Colorado, S. Platte, or Clear Creek? In fact you prefer something with drops like Cheeseman, but without the difficulty. I'm thinking a plane ticket to Never Never Land might be order.

I suggest you go over to eddyflower.com, read through all the run descriptions, and if there's something that fits the bill, post here about it, because there's probably a lot of people that would be interested.
If it doesn't exist, then so be it and I'll learn to deal. Keep your shorts unwrinkled.

I'm used to eastern style creeks and rivers and can't seem to find stuff here that isn't either a flush or a V+. Just looking for some texture that is in my skill level. Is that a crime?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it doesn't exist, then so be it and I'll learn to deal. Keep your shorts unwrinkled.

I'm used to eastern style creeks and rivers and can't seem to find stuff here that isn't either a flush or a V+. Just looking for some texture that is in my skill level. Is that a crime?
If it doesnt' exist here in Co, then so be it and I'll learn to enjoy what's there. Keep your panties unwrinkled.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Looking for more... Than just Black Rock and Bailey that fits into what I'm looking for. ...
What I meant when I said you probably want to start hitting Black Rock is this: Almost all of the IV/V (Five Light...like me) and V/V+ paddlers around my area include Black Rock in their staple diet. If you hook up with a crew that runs Black Rock after work then you are going to be hooked up with guys that paddle everything around here. Same thing with everywhere else. Find the local afterwork staple IV/V run, start running it after work, and you are going to find a lot of crews who paddle everything in the state.

If you come off as critical of the whitewater offerings around here then you are probably going to ruffle some feathers. I think people get defensive when their favorite runs are dissed. For example, I love Black Rock and if anyone says it sucks I'll kick them in the nuts ;) I love Black Rock, warts and all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Water is dropping

The peak is past and choices are thinning. If Lower Clear Ck is too easy, then try Black Rock. If Middle Narrows is too much, try Lower Clear Ck. If you can hang with Black Rock hit Bailey.

Welcome to Colorado, the Front Range is blasted mank, and we love it.

The closest we have to Eastern Pool-Drop is OBJ, and that's more drop-flush-slide-slide-drop-pool-slide.

Either way, get after it, soon we'll only be left with chasing flow releases on Bailey and weekend trips to Gore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I meant when I said you probably want to start hitting Black Rock is this: Almost all of the IV/V (Five Light...like me) and V/V+ paddlers around my area include Black Rock in their staple diet. If you hook up with a crew that runs Black Rock after work then you are going to be hooked up with guys that paddle everything around here. Same thing with everywhere else. Find the local afterwork staple IV/V run, start running it after work, and you are going to find a lot of crews who paddle everything in the state.

If you come off as critical of the whitewater offerings around here then you are probably going to ruffle some feathers. I think people get defensive when their favorite runs are dissed. For example, I love Black Rock and if anyone says it sucks I'll kick them in the nuts ;) I love Black Rock, warts and all.
No criticisms intended. I was mainly looking for the runs that are steep but the gnar can be portaged. I like Black Rock and the rest, I just need to adapt. That's my problem.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Come on up to Lake Creek all the hard ones are easy to walk up there and a ton of fun whitewater above the big 4.

Now I have to comment on this:

"Front range freedom fighters - 303"

Now everybody see why we call them "rangers" up here? What the hell are you freedom fighting for? Maybe you are freedom fighting "the man"- while livin in his house.

I would be fighting for freedom from all the other "rangers" by moving out fast!

Keep fighting the good fight man! Funny shit.

·
Big Building with Gear
112 Posts
Well theres always Coors Falls...pool-drop-pool-drop-pool-manky mank. Best 1/16 mile of roadside droppage this side of Maryland. Take some non-boater bunnies to impress! But don't ask me, I stayed at a holiday inn express last night...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I understand you

Come on up to Lake Creek all the hard ones are easy to walk up there and a ton of fun whitewater above the big 4.

Now I have to comment on this:

"Front range freedom fighters - 303"

Now everybody see why we call them "rangers" up here? What the hell are you freedom fighting for? Maybe you are freedom fighting "the man"- while livin in his house.

I would be fighting for freedom from all the other "rangers" by moving out fast!

Keep fighting the good fight man! Funny shit.
I'm in the process of relocating farther into the hills. This was a start.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts