Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had a table on order for a while. It's been backordered due to production and them changing materials for the top. I just called them and asked them and they said the new tables coming out soon will be topped with 3/4" HDPE material. Like cutting board material. This sounds like a bad idea to me but I thought I'd put it out there to see if I was just thinking it would suck but be ok.

·
Registered
799 Posts
All the DRE tables I've seen have that top and they appear to hold up just fine and much lighter than my wood NRS table. Just keep people from actually using it as a cutting board lol I think they use 1/2" though

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
526 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Friend has the DRE style table, I bought that aluminum table from whitewater worthy. It has to weigh less than half what the HDPE table weighs. I don't have the whole modular setup but been pretty happy with the weight savings and functionality.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine is backordered as well, when I called in this week I was told they were waiting for the legs to arrive, tables were expected to ship mid June.

I'm not excited about things getting heavier going to plastic, I'd also think the plastic would be more prone to getting cuts that will hold spilled chili goo and such. I was curious what NRS was going to do for tops with the plywood decking manufacturer out or business, sounds like we have our answer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My concern is that I planned to place my stove on top of the table to cook with and I am worried that I will melt the plastic underneath if I crank the BTU's for a longer period of time. Thoughts on that?

·
Registered
232 Posts
The table I received a little over a month ago has plywood covered with veneer of HDPE and a large red sticker in the middle warning against putting hot pots on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
My concern is that I planned to place my stove on top of the table to cook with and I am worried that I will melt the plastic underneath if I crank the BTU's for a longer period of time. Thoughts on that?
It probably could, depending on the stove design.

I used a cheap plastic folding table and our old stove was the old green box style Coleman and it melted the table.

If your stove has legs that elevate the metal stove above the surface, it MAY be ok.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The table I received a little over a month ago has plywood covered with veneer of HDPE and a large red sticker in the middle warning against putting hot pots on it.
We have one of these in addition to two of the skidguard type, one black and one the old light brown color.

The plastic topped one seems the least durable. The edges peel up and delaminate. I'd consider using a router to round off the top edge and epoxy along the ends to prevent this. I'll either do this or just replace with MDO on mine. I do like the frames of the new ones better. Haven't put a partner on it since we usually have one of the skidguard ones along anyway but I'd definitely be wary of putting anything super hot on it. Don't love the idea of a metal table but that Salamander one does look pretty nice for the price.

·
Registered
312 Posts
4 crushed beer cans under the corners of the stove to hold it up off the table, problem solved. Have run my stoves on a roll a table that way for 20 years without a problem. beer solves a lot of river problems, bring plenty

·
Registered
769 Posts
4 crushed beer cans under the corners of the stove to hold it up off the table, problem solved. Have run my stoves on a roll a table that way for 20 years without a problem. beer solves a lot of river problems, bring plenty
I love this simple and elegant solution!

·
Registered
385 Posts
BRILLIANT!!:grin:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey why didn’t you like metal tables Idaho water? Just curious, always stuff to learn, from other people’s perspectives.

I have not had a problem putting a stove on my home made plywood table, it has a good coat of spar varnish, and so far no problems, for what that’s worth to anybody.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey why didn’t you like metal tables Idaho water? Just curious, always stuff to learn, from other people’s perspectives.

I have not had a problem putting a stove on my home made plywood table, it has a good coat of spar varnish, and so far no problems, for what that’s worth to anybody.
I actually like the no maintenance aspect just worried about the safety factor. Seems more likely to injure someone, especially kids. Fully strapped and covered with a Paco would probably alleviate some of the risk.

I'm not a fan of diamond plate side rails or ammo boxes in the rowers compartment either for many of the same reasons and plenty of people like those too... YMMV. I just prefer to eliminate as many hazards as possible in my boat rigging.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts