Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Coast Guard Auxiliary 710
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new here. I don't have a whitewater kayak so I hope that's still ok. I currently have a 2013 Pelican Apex 100 SOT. I've only going once many years ago. I was camping at Garner State Park here in Texas. I went kayaking down the Frio River, very minor rapids but I was hooked! I'd like to learn all I can about kayaking. Anything y'all tell me about the sport is appreciated.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Best to avoid kayakers at all costs but if you insist all you need to know is lean forward, keep your feet up, and never...ever...forget your black boots at Bailey fest...never...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Get a MFS or Selway permit and then give me a call. ;-)

Seriously your going to just have to ask questions as they pop into your head. Read as much as you can and boat often. Welcome..

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,235 Posts
Obviously a troll. Nice sideways avatar!
I dont think he is. Look at his profile. he has pics of his boat and his home river.
That said...
Tex, just be prepared to take some shit from these Buzzards. There are lots of Coloradans on this board and they love to hack on Texans.
Allow me to begin.
What does a Texan say after she loses her virginity?
Wake up Daddy, you're crushing my smokes!

·
Registered
94 Posts
How does a mother from Texas know when her daughter is on her period?

Her son's dick tastes different.

I think this thread has been taken over!

·
Registered
104 Posts
wow, particularly harsh group this time. they can be hard on texans, especially the californians that moved to the front range a couple years ago and now call themselves locals. or worse yet, the boulder trustafarians. southern colorado folks tend to be more respectful since they know who floats the economy

the frio is great fun, but realize most of the folks here are more hardcore whitewater types

a few suggestions to take it to the next level if you are interested. read William Nealy's book "Kayak" for a start. see if you can meet somebody you can run the Guadalupe with down in New Braunsfels - a great river for the next step in class 2 water. size up who you paddle with to see if they are safe & trustworthy - someone you can count on for help if you need it

Looks like you may be in a sit-on-top (sorry if i am wrong here). to get on more serious water, class III, you will need an inflatable kayak or a hardboat with skirt. there may be a club in austin that you can hook up with to get a taste of that and see if you want to keep going. even better, if you have the funds, book a week long class at Nantaha kayak school noc.com) - then you can get some professional instruction and really see if this is for you.

have fun & be safe

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
TexasKayaker

As I see it you have two problems.
First, you're a Texan.
Second, you're a yakker.

I honestly don't see a way to wipe the smudge of Texas from your essence, but you may consider dumping the Kayak and getting a real boat.

Or, making sure you don't carry the Kayak attitude around; you know, entitled to drink all the beer they didn't carry, avoid chores at all costs, and yap endlessly about those garbage scows that haul their shit around while blowing their horn about just how great their skills are.

But, as all bouncy boaters know;

We take deeper strokes
and
Leave bigger wet spots

Welcome though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts