Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
NRS Otter 150, Oars
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I found this forum while trying to figure out how rafters pack all their crap with them. Now I too know what a Groover is... I decided to go with 5gal bucket & Gamma Seal. I'm not ready to shell out hundreds of dollars for a poop box when 5gal with Gamma Seal is acceptable where I will be.

Figured I would join & stay because of the other good & interesting info I found here.

My brother has had a raft for a while, so I bought a 150 NRS Otter & rowing frame last year. Mostly for camping trips with our families, and mild whitewater trips.

First day out 6/25/2020, I flipped it a couple of miles above the town of Columbia Falls. Back end got pushed down & the front went straight up over the back. That was exciting and a good learning experience. Fortunately I hadn't taken wife & kids with me, just a couple of friends. I was lucky not to loose any gear, had everything strapped down really good. One of the 3 fishing rods I had in rod holders did get broke, but surprisingly nothing was lost.

Planning on camping a few days on the North Fork Flathead in about 10 days. Starting at the border, probably go down to Big Creek.

Anyone know how to put info in Bio on here? I can't figure it out on IOS, Tapatalk, or from PC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to the forum.... I am a fellow Montana resident East of you on the Hi-line. Sorry to hear about your flip experience, and glad all of you and your gear made it out ok. I am new to the forum as well and havent tried adding information to my bio, but just wanted to stop in and say hello and welcome you.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Hello,
I found this forum while trying to figure out how rafters pack all their crap with them. Now I too know what a Groover is... I decided to go with 5gal bucket & Gamma Seal. I'm not ready to shell out hundreds of dollars for a poop box when 5gal with Gamma Seal is acceptable where I will be.

Figured I would join & stay because of the other good & interesting info I found here.

My brother has had a raft for a while, so I bought a 150 NRS Otter & rowing frame last year. Mostly for camping trips with our families, and mild whitewater trips.

First day out 6/25/2020, I flipped it a couple of miles above the town of Columbia Falls. Back end got pushed down & the front went straight up over the back. That was exciting and a good learning experience. Fortunately I hadn't taken wife & kids with me, just a couple of friends. I was lucky not to loose any gear, had everything strapped down really good. One of the 3 fishing rods I had in rod holders did get broke, but surprisingly nothing was lost.

Planning on camping a few days on the North Fork Flathead in about 10 days. Starting at the border, probably go down to Big Creek.

Anyone know how to put info in Bio on here? I can't figure it out on IOS, Tapatalk, or from PC.
Kalispell people suck. Present speaker included! haha

Let me guess, you got flipped in the Charcoal Wave a mile or two above Big Creek?

Thank you thank you for caring enough to do some research on river camping requirements and figuring out a groover system. Too many people simply pooping on the banks of our pristine rivers.

Have an awesome trip on the NF!!! Polebridge has good eats...and the new Home Ranch Bottoms south of Polebridge is also boater-friendly.

Cheers!
Shawn

·
Registered
NRS Otter 150, Oars
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kalispell people suck. Present speaker included! haha

Let me guess, you got flipped in the Charcoal Wave a mile or two above Big Creek?
View attachment 67030

Thank you thank you for caring enough to do some research on river camping requirements and figuring out a groover system. Too many people simply pooping on the banks of our pristine rivers.

Have an awesome trip on the NF!!! Polebridge has good eats...and the new Home Ranch Bottoms south of Polebridge is also boater-friendly.

Cheers!
Shawn
Agree on the people around here, even though I was born here...

I actually flipped in a much dumber spot than that. Probably a little over a mile above the aluminum plant. The water was high, about 27k CFS. River was wide & boring down there, except for a big wave I could see coming up on the right. I rowed towards it... I had front & rear fishing seats, very little weight in front. My front passenger wasn’t paying any attention, he just fell off when we started down the wave. I was rowing hard forward trying to get through it, but the back end got pushed down till it flipped. I never went sideways, pretty much perfect front over the back. That all took about 2 seconds.

Here’s some pictures said rock later in the year. Doesn’t look very exciting in August.

It’s the big one on the right.
IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Oh dang! Yeah, the main stem was really ripping a week ago.

I'd never done Pressentine Bar down before...floated to Leisure island yesterday. It was gorgeous.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Hello,

Go to your Account Settings/Account Details; you can add info there

Reactions: aj1hadley
1 - 6 of 6 Posts