Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Discussion Starter #1
My son thinks that after a few years of rafting, it's time for him to get in a WW kayak. So my question is, "Are there any pool sessions in the metro Denver area where kayaks are available for use and where he could get instruction on learning to roll?"
I'm assuming that most of his kayaking will be on multi-day trips with me, so what are some kayaks that might be good for a beginner. I doubt he will be into doing tricks, but may move into some creeking. He has done some day trips in a duckie and reads the water pretty well when he is on the sticks.

Thanks in advance for the input,
Roger

·
Registered
153 Posts
Go visit the guys at confluence in Denver they can set you up for roll classes and run down the different boats and there intended uses! If he is like all kids he will want a down river play boat only one boat he needs to know Jackson Fun! Just kidding tons really good boats out there go talk to boys at confluence and you can fondle the boats for free!
RandyP

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with Randy, Confluence is the place to go. Every person I have talked to there has always been real friendly and super knowledgeable. They are always willing to help us newbies out. Confluence Kayaks - Denver Kayak Instruction

If you find that their class schedule doesn't work for you or your son, also check with raguides.
Kayaking Classes, Kayaking Instruction, Kayak Classes | Renaissance Adventure Guides

Just picked up a barely used 08 Jackson Fun today, can't wait to get in the water. I know this doesn't really apply here, but had to share anyway :grin:

Go visit the guys at confluence in Denver they can set you up for roll classes and run down the different boats and there intended uses! If he is like all kids he will want a down river play boat only one boat he needs to know Jackson Fun! Just kidding tons really good boats out there go talk to boys at confluence and you can fondle the boats for free!
RandyP

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Ha, going to the dark side eh?

·
Discussion Starter #5
Not me, just Andy. Want to take him under your wing?

Got any old boats hanging around?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
No old boats but if you want me to help him out let me know. I will teach him everything I know, should take about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Earlier this spring Nick Wigston and I think Kyle McCutchen did kids kayaking classes for free at Meyers pool in Arvada. You might want to see if they are doing them this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts