Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
509 Posts
Of course he has to be biased, but here's EJ's comment:

"Loving the villain and i have a new favorite boat for creeking. Sweet!!!!"

· Registered
509 Posts

According to EJ, upon further testing in Mexico, ... "The villain paddles like having a conversation with your best friend. It is easy and you feel right at home."

So, why would I seem enthusistic about this boat and this thread? First, even though I really love skiing, I am jonesin' to boat this special year for me (30th/50th). Secondly, two of the boats standing side by side in my garage are the Punk Rocker and my wife's Little Hero. Two outstanding boat designs. Side by side I can see their blend in the Villain. Assumming that the Villain will be available in a similar size as the Punk Rocker, I can picture how awesome this boat may be. It might well be the refined excellence of a boat that is of a best friend nature. One that is always welcomed, kind, supportive, dependable, and fun.

I am very psyched to experience this boat. It appears to be another superbly refined addition in a full spectrum of top performing boats from a single company. I hope that 2010 is the year for everyone to upgrade and fill full your river sense.

Enjoy!

Ken

· www.bigwaterraft.com
66 Posts
I have owned four brands in my time kayaking. I have found that Jackson makes far and away the best playboats I have used, LL playboats suck, The Hero is a piece of poop and surfed me in every hole I found on the river. I did have a Necky chronic that lasted forever, and was a fun playboat. My WS playboat was ok, but the diesel was more annoying than any boat I ever paddled, and the only creekboat I liked was the Jefe. The only thing I have found that I wished the Jefe had was a bulkhead system like the Rocker to make it piton proof for my ankles. Does anyone know how to do this?

· Registered
28 Posts
So was it 2003 when the Jefe and Nomad came out? This is a big creekboat year with new Burn, Prijon's boat, and the Villian.

I'm most excited to try Prijon's boat out. Everyone knows about their plastic, its always just been their design and outfitting that's held them back. Jackson's boat looks like a Burn/Nomad/Hero hybrid which will be interesting to try as well, especially if they can improve their durability.

· Registered
509 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Prototype

Fairly quick to decide arent you? You see two pictures of a prototype and its hit? I musta missed something.
So in response to this reply... Yes it is hard to determine a boat just by looking at it, but in this case in my opinion people are correct by giving props to the Villan. I have never been a fan of Jackson's boats, aside from the all star. But I demoed a villan prototype last weekend on the Tellico, and I was phenomenal! I'm use to my LL Jefe which in my opinion is one of the best creek boats out there, but the Villan has some details to it... They have a rail system on the bottom that extends to about your feet that helps the boat track better than the Nomad, and the Jefe. It lands boof's with speed. Handles well while stuck in a hole. and is easier to get out of a hole than the nomad or Jefe. I speak of these other two boats because those are the only other creek boats I've been in. Like I said not a fan of Jackson until I paddled the Villan. Props to the jackson team for a great new boat. And I say this from experience.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have owned four brands in my time kayaking. I have found that Jackson makes far and away the best playboats I have used, LL playboats suck, The Hero is a piece of poop and surfed me in every hole I found on the river. I did have a Necky chronic that lasted forever, and was a fun playboat. My WS playboat was ok, but the diesel was more annoying than any boat I ever paddled, and the only creekboat I liked was the Jefe. The only thing I have found that I wished the Jefe had was a bulkhead system like the Rocker to make it piton proof for my ankles. Does anyone know how to do this?
Take closed cell foam blocks and log cabin it in the front of your boat to where your feet are. Take out the bulkhead completely. It takes time and is tedious, but once you do it, you'll love it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey sjvoight!

So in response to this reply... Yes it is hard to determine a boat just by looking at it, but in this case in my opinion people are correct by giving props to the Villan. I have never been a fan of Jackson's boats, aside from the all star. But I demoed a villan prototype last weekend on the Tellico, and I was phenomenal! I'm use to my LL Jefe which in my opinion is one of the best creek boats out there, but the Villan has some details to it... They have a rail system on the bottom that extends to about your feet that helps the boat track better than the Nomad, and the Jefe. It lands boof's with speed. Handles well while stuck in a hole. and is easier to get out of a hole than the nomad or Jefe. I speak of these other two boats because those are the only other creek boats I've been in. Like I said not a fan of Jackson until I paddled the Villan. Props to the jackson team for a great new boat. And I say this from experience.
Thanks for sharing your glimpse at the Villain. I'm hopeful for a light, super-comfortable, semi-planing creeker with raised chines. My first question for you is how does it turn? Does it track hard like a Nomad/Mystic/Habitat making corrections sluggish? Or, does it have the rocker to correct easily by spinning the boat like a Magnum/Solo/Rocker? Also, with a light boof, did it like to stay on top or dive? I know my answers will come when I demo the Villain/Pure/New Burn but any opinions are fun to hear. Finally, if you're locked in winter, come to the NW for some Gorge action. The temps have been in the 50's riverside!

Paul in PDX

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for sharing your glimpse at the Villain. I'm hopeful for a light, super-comfortable, semi-planing creeker with raised chines. My first question for you is how does it turn? Does it track hard like a Nomad/Mystic/Habitat making corrections sluggish? Or, does it have the rocker to correct easily by spinning the boat like a Magnum/Solo/Rocker? Also, with a light boof, did it like to stay on top or dive? I know my answers will come when I demo the Villain/Pure/New Burn but any opinions are fun to hear. Finally, if you're locked in winter, come to the NW for some Gorge action. The temps have been in the 50's riverside!

Paul in PDX
The Villan boofed well with minimal speed. It stayed on top of things as much as you can with little speed. It does have enough rocker to turn nicely. Think of a nomad that tracks a bit better. Still has the turn like the Jefe/Nomad, but will hold a line better. I would almost compare it to the Karnali. But a little more displacement than planing hull. Try it out for yourself to really gague it. My over all opinion is it will be a contender for my next creeker.

· Registered
365 Posts
?????VIDEO ANYONE?????

Sorry i haven't had time to sift through the 5 pages, but is there any VIDEO of that bad boy in action???? I'd love to see someone actually paddling the boat!! That would be SWEET!!!

Cheers!

-Nick

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.