Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey y'all, do any of these go to full pressure, no hand pump top off required? With or without Kelsey's adaptor?

·
Registered
76 Posts
No, no chance. You still need a K Pump to top it off. They are totally worth it though, more portable than high pressure electric, way faster than K Pump or Barrel to get you to 90%, and you can pack a smaller K Pump instead of Barrel pump to top off, be compliant, and for emergencies. I got the Dewalt one for the Put In (already had those batteries, Makita is slightly stronger) and the two stage K Pump for full redundancy (K200?), only take that on the river, still doesn’t take up that much space, super durable

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Boy howdy, I can't imagine inflating a boat with a K pump after an on river repair.. They are OK for top off's, but much past that, I think your arm would fall off before you'd get the tube inflated..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone tried both the ryobi inflator and the Makita blower? I've already got Makita batteries but the ryobi is on sale right now and it's smaller and lighter if it works just as well...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Huh. Ryobi Inflator. I can tell you from firsthand experience that the Makita will only go to like .5-1 PSI before air starts coming out the back, which is really like 95% volume, pretty close. Same with the Milwaukee, same with Dewalt. You still need to do some relatively short work with a manual pump to get it to 2.5 psi.

Ryobi Inflator says goes up to 150 PSI and can be used for a car tire, that shit must have a full on compressor built in. Now I'm jealous. I think the challenge there would be fitting the valve.

I posted before about a guy in Idaho who make raft valve adaptors for the Makita/Milwaukee/Dewalt, but I was able to use one of those clear tubes that comes with a K-Pump and the standard K-Pump black tip to fit it inside my Dewalt. Not a perfect seal but some electric tape helps, after that air starts blowing back out the intake instead of into the raft anyways.

EDIT: looks like there are multiple Ryobi Inflators, the "18V ONE+ DUAL FUNCTION INFLATOR / DEFLATOR" is the bigger one that does 150 psi, but it would be low-volume and super slow. The "High Volume" one says it's max is 0.5 PSI, which is basically the same as all the other ones mentioned above

·
Registered
44 Posts
Huh. Ryobi Inflator. I can tell you from firsthand experience that the Makita will only go to like .5-1 PSI before air starts coming out the back, which is really like 95% volume, pretty close. Same with the Milwaukee, same with Dewalt. You still need to do some relatively short work with a manual pump to get it to 2.5 psi.

Ryobi Inflator says goes up to 150 PSI and can be used for a car tire, that shit must have a full on compressor built in. Now I'm jealous. I think the challenge there would be fitting the valve.

I posted before about a guy in Idaho who make raft valve adaptors for the Makita/Milwaukee/Dewalt, but I was able to use one of those clear tubes that comes with a K-Pump and the standard K-Pump black tip to fit it inside my Dewalt. Not a perfect seal but some electric tape helps, after that air starts blowing back out the intake instead of into the raft anyways.

EDIT: looks like there are multiple Ryobi Inflators, the "18V ONE+ DUAL FUNCTION INFLATOR / DEFLATOR" is the bigger one that does 150 psi, but it would be low-volume and super slow. The "High Volume" one says it's max is 0.5 PSI, which is basically the same as all the other ones mentioned above
The ryobi 18v leaf blower does an unacceptable job at inflating rafts based on my experience.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if you compare the specs of all of these things, the Makita one looks the best on paper
I can vouch for the Makita. Did our entire parties inflate at Hells last year and one guy was cursing for having just spent money on a car battery pump. Inflated five boats and still had juice left over to deflate them all five days later after sitting in the heat. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Boy howdy, I can't imagine inflating a boat with a K pump after an on river repair.. They are OK for top off's, but much past that, I think your arm would fall off before you'd get the tube inflated..
Have done this before I owned a barrel pump. Which is a big factor that drove me to get a barrel pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using the Milwaukee M18 Cordless Vacuum and really like it. You do not have to open the valves and fills up my 16' raft pretty quick. Top it off with a Kpump. I ended up with it really because I wanted something that would work double duty and I use it as a vacuum all of the time. I wash it our completely before I inflate the raft and I am a little picky on what I vacuum up with it but so far it has been awesome.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I want one of those vacuums just for pickup-cleaning duty...which seems to happen most often after river shuttles, haha

(and not pro shuttles, but day trips and friends with muddy shoes)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use one like this:

No extra pump needed, No opening valves and running to close them after inflating. Mine came with about 5 valve attachments to match just about anything out there. These things inflate to the proper PSI every time...and I am off getting geared up while it's working. One of the best investments I made, even for my small raft.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
I use one like this:

No extra pump needed, No opening valves and running to close them after inflating. Mine came with about 5 valve attachments to match just about anything out there. These things inflate to the proper PSI every time...and I am off getting geared up while it's working. One of the best investments I made, even for my small raft.
I'd worry about what could happen the first time the automatic shut off doesn't function as intended lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd worry about what could happen the first time the automatic shut off doesn't function as intended lol
Well...you (and everyone within 50 miles) would hear the boom! :D :D

I haven't investigated but would expect safety mechanisms in these should stop the pump, but then again maybe I expect too much, it's just a pump! Mine has worked well for many years. I've been surprised more people don't use them. They make quick work of any raft with no top off needed.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Has anyone tried both the ryobi inflator and the Makita blower? I've already got Makita batteries but the ryobi is on sale right now and it's smaller and lighter if it works just as well...
I have it... it works great but you need to top off as others stated.

It's usually just the tool so you'd need a charger and a battery. If you don't already have those you might be better off buying the Makita that you have those things for.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the Makita and love it. It’s as good as any 12v option at the ramp and it’s portability is a major plus. Throw a couple extra batteries in your dry box and you’re good to go for a week with enough power to run the Bluetooth speaker at camp (if you’re into that), charge cameras and phones, and blow up any boat several times over.

I was already invested in the Makita cordless tool platform so the blower was a no-brainer. Milwaukee and DeWalt have blowers that are nearly identical to the Makita so if you’re invested in any of these three platforms, your inflation options just got simpler. View attachment 64688
View attachment 64689

Edit: you’ll still need a top-off pump for finishing the tubes - your usual suspect K-pump.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts