Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use the Makita that several others use, I like that I can also use it as a vacuum when rolling up (yes I know I should get a trailer). I don't use an adapter all the time, the rubber nozzle on the blower makes a decent seal, but when I do, I just use the cheap C7 adapter that Aire sells for $5.00. I would wholeheartedly recommend the handheld blower for whatever battery system you already have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use the Makita knock off from Amazon(Kimo) and love it over the old car battery hook up pump I used to have. I have experimented with various adapters including the rubber piece that goes on my k pump. You don't really need one but you can probably make one with things you have laying around your garage - electricians tape and a soda bottle...

The blower has a bunch of other uses which I always like for gear - inflates and deflates boats quickly, blows the boat dry and gets a lot of the sand and dirt off, gets a campfire raging, vacuums the dust out of tents, and it does a halfway decent job of blowing off my patio.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The guy who makes the adapter has his email on the video. Remove AT to email him. pondomotoATgmail.com. I got mine in 2 days from Calif.
You guys can also message me on here if you'd like to order. As stated, I'm charging $35 for these handmade parts. I machine them from Delrin barstock on my lathe out in the shop after I've finished my day job and put the kids to bed. To lower the price, I'd need to commission the use of a CNC to knock out a large quantity of em with minimal labor.

I agree that a simple hose could do the trick, but the added benefit of this adapter is that it has a pin across it to automatically open the valve upon insertion. I'd agree that it's a luxury, but it sure does make things super easy. It's great for inflation and deflation.

Cheers,
Kelsey

·
Registered
172 Posts
Holy cow, that is brilliant, the LVM and airpigs can overcome the springs, and same with my modded craftsman leaf blower/inverter rig, but the 18volt blowers struggle to overcome the spring and fill.

The only thing that makes me nervous about switching to 18 volt from the truck battery is the LiON batteries really do not like being over heated and get really cranky really quick.
I also bet watching the video of milliing derlin would be pretty therapeutic too....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Milwaukee M18 version of the compact blower and have also purchased the adapter from Kelsey. It works perfectly and I couldn't be happier with the blower and the adapter. I just happened to already have the m18 batteries.

My only complaint with the blower is that you cannot lock the nozzle to the intake for deflation purposes as you can with the Mikita.

Attachments

·
no tengo
1,878 Posts
I'll second the Ryobi. It's lightweight, compact, cheap. I can blow up more than one raft, my packraft, my big agnes sleeping pad. Deflates as well. Amazing! I added a little bit of vinyl tubing to make it seal better on all of the above mentioned items.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have the Milwaukee M18 version of the compact blower and have also purchased the adapter from Kelsey. It works perfectly and I couldn't be happier with the blower and the adapter. I just happened to already have the m18 batteries.

My only complaint with the blower is that you cannot lock the nozzle to the intake for deflation purposes as you can with the Mikita.

The Milwaukee & Mikita seem so identical that I’ve often wondered if they are made on the same line like Chevy & GMC. So it annoys me that the Milwaukee doesn’t have the notch for attaching to the intake. But alas I committed to Milwaukee batteries a while ago and I have the blower.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I brought the adapter into the local Home Depot and tested it out on the Dewalt blower. Had to get approval from customer service to open without buying, but nevertheless, got er done. The adapter fits well in the Dewalt blower. From your posts and comments on the YouTube video, I can confirm that it fits on the Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Kimo. I also modified one of the adapters for a guy to fit the Ryobi. Basically put a larger hole through it to allow the Ryobi tip to fit into the adapter.

Thanks for all the kind words and support. I myself had been looking for a better way to inflate and came across Zach's original video where he complained about the poor fit with the valve. So, I bought one and toyed around with a few different concepts to come up with the adapter that I have now. Props to Zach for suggesting the cross pin. That's a great addition to the adapter and really makes it plug and play.

Cheers,
Kelsey

·
Registered
135 Posts
12v tire inflators

Does anyone have any experience using the various off-road 12v tire inflators that are available. I'd like to buy on that could pull dual duty (inflate rafts and also truck tires if needed). The ones I have looked at seem to be powerfull enough. The only problem that I see would be the air hose piece. Also if you are using the 12v power source (car battery/outlet) does one need to keep the vehicle running?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone have any experience using the various off-road 12v tire inflators that are available. I'd like to buy on that could pull dual duty (inflate rafts and also truck tires if needed). The ones I have looked at seem to be powerfull enough. The only problem that I see would be the air hose piece. Also if you are using the 12v power source (car battery/outlet) does one need to keep the vehicle running?
The problem with most of those 12V inflators is that their flow rate is very low in order to keep the power down at their maximum rated pressure. As a result, when you're running them with essentially zero back pressure, they hardly flow anything. Nominally,the Makita blower flows about 10X as much as the best 12V inflators out there. On the other hand, you could fill a small tank to peak pressure over a longer period of time, then regulate it down to the raft inflation pressure at the time of use. This would allow for a very quick fill of the raft, assuming your tank and pressure we're sized accordingly.

These compressors draw hardly any power at 0 psig discharge, but if you get the pressure up at all, you're going to be consuming a fair bit of power. Best bet would be to keep the motor running.

·
no tengo
1,878 Posts
The problem with most of those 12V inflators is that their flow rate is very low in order to keep the power down at their maximum rated pressure. As a result, when you're running them with essentially zero back pressure, they hardly flow anything.
Good practice is to keep the valve open when inflating to shape and close it then top off with a hand pump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good practice is to keep the valve open when inflating to shape and close it then top off with a hand pump.
No doubt. I guess my point is that the $550 ARB twin compressor (very popular 12V high flow inflator) flows 6 CFM at no load while the Makita blower is at around 90 CFM. Best to keep the motor running since it will take 15 times longer to fill... ;-)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice - thanks for this pic

I'll second the Ryobi. It's lightweight, compact, cheap. I can blow up more than one raft, my packraft, my big agnes sleeping pad. Deflates as well. Amazing! I added a little bit of vinyl tubing to make it seal better on all of the above mentioned items.
I'm going to try the Ryobi option as well - thanks for this pic. I already have a bunch of their tools and was looking for a new battery/charger anyway. For $84, seems like a worthy option. Can also easy carry in my regular boat for inflatables too.

Link to too on Home Depot site w/Battery and Charger included:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...ickid=1W5TBST3gxyOTiKwUx0Mo34HUkiyyw0EKV2b040

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use the Makita knock off from Amazon(Kimo) and love it over the old car battery hook up pump I used to have. I have experimented with various adapters including the rubber piece that goes on my k pump. You don't really need one but you can probably make one with things you have laying around your garage - electricians tape and a soda bottle...

The blower has a bunch of other uses which I always like for gear - inflates and deflates boats quickly, blows the boat dry and gets a lot of the sand and dirt off, gets a campfire raging, vacuums the dust out of tents, and it does a halfway decent job of blowing off my patio.
Is this the 6001?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes it is. I have used it to inflate my raft about 20 times since May and it is still working great. I also find myself using it around the house all the time. Solid, versatile piece of gear for sure.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I’ve had a 110V blower and have used it for home use, great for rafts.

just scored one in Milwaukee 18V flavor on eBay for 50 bucks; looking forward to having the more portable version.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's an great buy on the M. I opted for the Kimo after looking for hours - I also ordered the new model of the Sun Joe (drill type) from the big retailer but looks like the CFM will be lacking so I'll be returning. Already have a couple of K-Pumps so I should be good to go. Can't wait until next week to try it out.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts