Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KIMG0089 (1).jpeg This is my new frame. The front foot bar is not done, nor the towers.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gary that frame is for a cat. I would not build a cat frame for a raft. Especially not a RMR. I mean come on, you said that boat would only last 5 years. Any ways it is 3/4 steel. It is a Frankenstein frame. The seat trusses are square tubing and the rest is round. This will be the one of the lightest ones l have built. Less than 40 lbs.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Atomiccrider. I have thought about doing this professionally, but l have to keep building them for all my friends so l never get time.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure, l suppose you are only asking cause you want one. I have a lot of New friends ever since l started building these.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dude, that look very nice! I am curious, how much do you have invested in time and material costs to this point? This is something I would like to try to do myself someday.

I hope you get many happy river miles out of that frame!

:cool:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The steel costs about 125. I have 3 days in them once they are done. This is my 4 one. I have changed the design every time. The first one was all square tubing. It is on my purple sotar. Then l figured out how to make my hydraulic bender do nice corners out of round tubing.

If you have some skills you could build one. Steel ttubing is the way to go for me.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bender is just a Jack. It is in the picture. The dies l built myself because the diesel that came with it would crimp the tubing.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Caverdan, I am going to have it powder coated. I had to go back to my real job and I have pool sessions this weekend for my daughter so I put it on the back burner for a few days. I will post up the finished product when I get back to it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Curtis:
If you weigh the cost of powdercoating into your initial material purchase, you may find that 304 stainless tube with a #4 circumferential is inside your budget. The transportation of the tube is the issue. Quality stainless at good prices are typically out of Chicago,LA...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah but then l have to weigh the cost of a welder to weld stainless.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I stand corrected. I guess stainless can be MIG welded these days.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I traveled down that rat hole at first; wasted some money; learned a lot in the process.
Stainless can be fusion welded (304L) with AC and relatively low amperage. Add a little 308 on the flat spots of the copes. Last time the economy did a nose dive the machines were cheap and plentiful.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts