Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke my frame, for the second time, and I'm now considering buying a new frame. My current boat is a prototype outcast pac 1100, I've got the HD tubes but the standard frame. I think the diameter is 20' on the proto tubes and there are three d rings per side.

I recently moved back to western Maryland so I feel shipping a non-breakdown frame will be expensive and I'm over break down small diameter aluminum frames. So what are my options on getting a burly frame and not breaking the bank? Also I use 7ft mini mag oars and want to keep a narrow frame.

PS- The second frame failure happened in a big hole below an eight foot drop. It was ugly and I was lucky neither the tubes or myself were punctured by the jagged metal.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
So I broke my frame, for the second time, and I'm now considering buying a new frame. My current boat is a prototype outcast pac 1100, I've got the HD tubes but the standard frame. I think the diameter is 20' on the proto tubes and there are three d rings per side.

I recently moved back to western Maryland so I feel shipping a non-breakdown frame will be expensive and I'm over break down small diameter aluminum frames. So what are my options on getting a burly frame and not breaking the bank? Also I use 7ft mini mag oars and want to keep a narrow frame.

PS- The second frame failure happened in a big hole below an eight foot drop. It was ugly and I was lucky neither the tubes or myself were punctured by the jagged metal.
An NRS frame would give you easy shipping and some flexibility. Their stock sport cat drop rails are 88 inches long, but I'll bet if you contact them, they will make them shorter to match your tubes. Their stock cat yokes will be too deep for your 20 inch tubes. I used them on 22 inch Maravia tubes and they were right at the D-rings. NRS has cross bars starting at 40 inches, so that would probably work for you. I'm assuming you have killed the stock Outcast frame? I have a 15 year old Outcast PAC 1000 & frame that I've run up to easy class III with. I also have the 7 ft. Mini Magnum oars. These are super fun little cats, but not many options for small frames, other than custom. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight, you're always one of the most helpful boaters on here. And yes the frame in question is the original, about the same vintage as your outcast. The tubes are much newer and are great for eastern water. Here's a cool pic from last weekend, plus for others it'll give you an idea of dimensions.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Thanks for the insight, you're always one of the most helpful boaters on here. And yes the frame in question is the original, about the same vintage as your outcast. The tubes are much newer and are great for eastern water. Here's a cool pic from last weekend, plus for others it'll give you an idea of dimensions.
Great picture & a great little boat. I still have mine. It's the one that got me started in whitewater years ago. You must be running some gnarly stuff back east to break that frame.....although it's pretty light weight & really made for fishing. What length side rails would you need? NRS has done several custom things for me in the past. I'd at least check with them. Their sport cat rails have a 6 inch drop I think. Take a look at their website & click on the frame part specs.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Makes sense. Those are the only cross bar supports, and they are supporting all the weight of the rower. That's a lot to ask of those small diameter bars. Especially in big water or strong hydraulics. Bummer!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Contact Whitewater Machine Works- he can get you what you are after.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
3,344 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You could also contact Madcatr for a custom frame that is light and super burly.

Otherwise the NRS solution will work for a bit more weight and maybe a bit less money. One caveat - you would need to contact nrs (or just cut it down yourself) to get a seat bar that fits between the drop bars if you want to maintain your low center of gravity. You might also need to get a bit custom with the foot bar for how narrow your boat is - or just use a couple lopro fittings with short pipe section attached to the drop rails.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great insight raftus, these are the kind of details I am looking for. Currently I'm leaning towards a nrs frame as I can get a small discount on their stuff. The WMW frame looks sweet anybody have any experience with them?

Also anybody know of a blueprint for a cat frame. I'm considering build one at my buddy's shop because these things are pricey!

·
Registered
468 Posts
...You might also need to get a bit custom with the foot bar for how narrow your boat is - or just use a couple lopro fittings with short pipe section attached to the drop rails.
If I am understanding this suggestion correctly (basically using a shortened NRS crossbar), there could be a problem with the lopro "knuckles" protruding into the tubes -- not sure it would be a peroblem, does not seem ideal.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've posted these photos before concerning small cats.

Mine are 10x19 tubes using 7.5 Cataract oars. The frame is cheapo emt with dimensions of 50 inches long and 54 inches wide. With roughly 6 feet of waterline it's agile as well.........a cat.

It's not a breakdown and not a named player, but it was cheap. I bought a seat slider with a lot of adjustment and it fits short and long leg oarers.

Gene

·
The Go Light Guy
44 Posts
You probably can have one made locally, or do it yourself. EMT electrical conduit can be hand bent and welded (careful of the galvanizing, though - nasty stuff when welded). The WMW frames are great (I also sell them) and we have used our lighter prototypes all over the west and Mexico, Guatemala, and Peru (flew that one as baggage).

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Built my own, for a set of Jack's Cutthroat tubes. It's about five years old, no worries so far. It's been on rocky class IV water and also done multi-day trips with a load (including me, at 235 lb.) When the water is low, or for narrow creeks, I bought a Jack's Fat Cat paddle frame, so I've got two boats with one set of tubes.

- - -

This is copied from an old post:

New Light Cat Frame

We finally got enough water to go. Here's the wee cat rigged and ready to launch. Total weight of the frame (with floor, stands, locks, and seat) ended up at 47.5 lb. One of my favorite runs has a steep carry from the takeout, and my old frame kept gaining weight, year by year.

Tubes are Jack's Cutthroat (12.5' x 16") with 4 dees per side. The oars are Gull 7-1/2 footers.

The oarstands are homebuilt (wrote 'em up earlier on this thread). The scouting floor is a half-panel of PolyMax kennel floor (also written up earlier, along with most other details).

- - -

Here's the paddle frame—

1 - 16 of 16 Posts