Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have an Exped and I prefer that because it has a built in pump that I can use my foot to pump air in with and there is one valve in case you need to let a little air out for comfort but it has large plugs that open to deflate it so it's instantly deflated. Plus it folds up about the same size as my 1 liter water bottle.

The thing I dislike about any pad that you have to blow up (other than the unsanitary part) is that the condensation from your breath gets in the pad and can't escape leaving water inside your sleeping pad.

Exped SynMat 7 Air Pad with Pump - REI.com

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I also use an Exped pad. Love it. The built in hand pump works fine, but it's kind of like giving CPR to the pad. I have a bum knee, and kneeling to pump up the pad by hand isn't my favorite thing to do. So I got the schnozzle bag. That thing rocks. Kind of the same idea as the guy in the video above. Attach the schnozzle bag, blow in a puff of air, roll and squeeze. It takes about 3-4 bags full of air to totally inflate the pad. About 2-3 minutes to do it. Easy & fast. The Exped packs down nice and small, and deflating it is also easy. I got the Exped when I started kayak touring for space savings, but I use it on my roll-a-cot now as well. The only thing I had to do for the cot was add a small piece of yoga mat on top of the cot because the Exped is more slippy than a thermarest pad.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It does look pretty cool though. If there is any insulation in it there still may be a concern about moisture from your breath but how much?? I'd like to try one.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I also use an Exped pad. Love it. The built in hand pump works fine, but it's kind of like giving CPR to the pad. I have a bum knee, and kneeling to pump up the pad by hand isn't my favorite thing to do. So I got the schnozzle bag. That thing rocks. Kind of the same idea as the guy in the video above. Attach the schnozzle bag, blow in a puff of air, roll and squeeze. It takes about 3-4 bags full of air to totally inflate the pad. About 2-3 minutes to do it. Easy & fast. The Exped packs down nice and small, and deflating it is also easy. I got the Exped when I started kayak touring for space savings, but I use it on my roll-a-cot now as well. The only thing I had to do for the cot was add a small piece of yoga mat on top of the cot because the Exped is more slippy than a thermarest pad.
I just stand and use my foot to inflate the pad, no kneeling and I find it's faster with my foot than my hands since I can just kind of rock my heel and make my toes do all the work for me.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Aside from midsummer in the desert, I want insulation under me. This is neato and gimmicky- but doesn't show much understanding for all a pad must do to work well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
469 Posts
Aside from midsummer in the desert, I want insulation under me. This is neato and gimmicky- but doesn't show much understanding for all a pad must do to work well.

I have a Klymit Static V Insulated Pad. Does a pretty good job for seventy bucks.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I just stand and use my foot to inflate the pad, no kneeling and I find it's faster with my foot than my hands since I can just kind of rock my heel and make my toes do all the work for me.
I never tried using my foot, but now that I have the schnozzle I'm good to go. The schnozzle bag also makes a nice dry sack to keep the pad in. I have the Synmat 7 in the medium wide size and love how small it packs.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts

Their website says it's not insulated. I'd imagine it would get pretty cold without any insulation from the ground, even in summer temps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Exped mega mat 10 it's better than your bed at home... just about as big too - but who cares when you're pushing 16' of rubber.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts