·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't take it.

Had to have because it folds flat.

Its spend but it sure seems well made.
$60 from NRS

We'll see how it lasts with heat possibly warping it.

Anyone used one of these yet?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Typically we've used match light on our trips but on our last trip we used regular charcoal with a chimney. I think someone needs to convince me why a chimney is better - other than protecting the charcoal from the wind.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Typically we've used match light on our trips but on our last trip we used regular charcoal with a chimney. I think someone needs to convince me why a chimney is better - other than protecting the charcoal from the wind.

I stick the chimney over my blaster and keep it there until the coals are ready. I think it is much faster than match lite but I will admit I never use match lite. When I am Dutch oven cooking and need to add a few hot coals it just seems very fast and easy to use this method. Not sure that's convincing but it is effective.

Jim

·
Registered
263 Posts
With a blaster (Woodland) around there's no need for a chimney nor that stinky Matchlight.
Just pile the briquettes on a grill sitting on the blaster and give it a few minutes over the propane flame to get the coals started.
Dump in the firepan and voila'!

·
Besides the smell, Matchlight doesn't last as long as regular.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I couldn't take it.

Had to have because it folds flat.

Its spend but it sure seems well made.
$60 from NRS

We'll see how it lasts with heat possibly warping it.

Anyone used one of these yet?
I've used mine a few times. Works fine and got it at austinkayak.com for $49.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
I have had mine for 2 years now, works great and does not warp. It holds more charcoal than the round ones do.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I have used these folding charcoal starters since they were first made.

Quality design and materials from an air craft machinist in Wichita KS.

They are expensive but my bet is this is the last charcoal starter a person will have to buy.

They fold up to better store in a raft dry box or else tied on flat where ever on a raft.

I do a lot of dutch oven cooking on river trips plus dutch oven gatherings (DOG). We ran test models through a lot of DOG's. Continuous use for an hour or so over a blaster. Zero bending even tho the metal got red hot. I still have the original test model, after a lot of testing on river trips and DOG's, the handles were re designed to cut down on the heat (only a problem during the DOG testing).

Years ago, we were on a river trip (the designer Steve was along) and my well used and beat up (expensive at the time) charcoal starter was about ready to give it up. I was tired of just strapping it on the stern gear pile or sticking it inside my River Rat Ray's stern gear bag. Made a comment that some one should make a folding starter that would last and Steve took up the challenge and the result is in the photos above.

I am the first to admit that this starter is expensive to buy the first time. When the design was agreed on, I purchased one of the first ones made at retail. Have used it a bunch and after years of use it still looks new except for a few scratches. I expect to give mine to my Grand Kids some time in the future. Cost per use will approach zero (ok, I know some math whiz will comment on this!) if you use it as much as I do mine.

Disclaimer: I am a friend of the gentleman who designed and makes these char coal starters. I helped Steve test them and gave a lot of feedback to him. I also want and use quality river gear and Steve's products are made to last and work.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,466 Posts
Ive had mine for years. After tons of use and abuse it has warped a little but hasnt affected function or how it folds up. I expect it to go the distance. Remember to fold out the handle before you light it, mine has a couple nice burn marks from someone not.

With a blaster involved, it is way faster than match light. In fact, make sure that who ever is cooking is ready for the coals in 5-7 min or you can burn them up if you start too early and forget about it.

malloy, with the woodland around you dont even need to stack the charcoal on the grill, then on the blaster. You can avoid the mess on the ground all together. Pile the coals in the firepan, set the woodland on its side and give the pile hell. Almost as fast as the chimney but the coals arent as mobile. I'll often times set the dutchies up on the lid away from traffic and the chimney is handy for that. Heavy as hell, overkill, but sweet to have around. A true rafters piece of gear.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
BilloutWest, that is a good price for this unit.

In fact, best I have seen.

Steve makes these units in Wichita and this thing is about as American as it gets.

With the price of metal what it is and is going up, consider this unit as an investment!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have been using mine for 3 years, works great. I keep my firepan in a rocket box along with a folding shovel, ash can, fire blanket, tongs and fire gloves. This slides right in with it. Makes for a perfect grab and go fire setup.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have one (Sandbar Mfg, Flatfire) and have used it many times over the past year, mostly over a propane burner. Awesome, faster than the usual round chimney. Hope to use it as much and for as many years as Okeboater.

Given that it takes up almost no space, can't see a down side. Cost? It is bomber. We spend lots of $ on gear, $60 for something that will last 20 years for 100's of uses? No, I'm not a stockholder nor family of SandBar, just a fan.

They come to our Arkansas Canoe Club event every year and help us out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts