Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure I had better be filled in on all the rules (official and unspoken) on the river. What are the specs I have to watch for when getting a helmet, a PFD? Any rules on the skirt? Anything on the boat condition? Anything weird like surfers have and their waves (anything like that with boaters and their whitewater?).

Also: If I buy a PFD and helmet at REI or Galyan's will I be ok with all the certification stuff?

Sorry for all the questions guys, if you have any answers hook me up - even if you're not sure on all of them.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
40 Posts
HOLA, if you live in or near denver please don't go to rei or galyans. some of the people who work there know what they are talking about, and most don't (trust me I've worked in one of these). go to mountain miser in denver, the service can't be beat. I bought a boat there in march and one of the screws in the thigh hooks stripped on me. I expected them to say they'd send it in to the manufacturer and see what they say about warranty. they took a new brace out of a new boat and installed it for me. go there for helmets/lifejacket etc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I second not going to REI/Galyans. They don't have a great selection of whitewater pfds anyways. Confluence Kayaks is right by the big downtown REI and those are the guys who got me hooked on kayaking.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I second both opinions with confluence and mountain miser. At least in the beginning use the intelligence of the people at a good shop to get started. After that you can pick and choose who to use but I would establish a good relationship with someone there who seems to know what he is talking about. Hmm, that is assuming that you are in Denver. If you are south in Pueblo or Co Spgs go to the edge in Pueblo. Bob is a good guy and he is the guy I used to get set up in the beginning and still do today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts