Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYSA

Below Sunshine and 2/3rds of the way to Sledge Hammer there is a power pole like the ones along the railroad tracks in the river and blocking river left about 3/4s of the way across.

The pole is at water level and has climbing stakes sticking out of its length. Not easy to see until you are VERY close to it because it is below the horizon line. Easy to pass it on river right.

·
Registered
129 Posts
thnx for the heads up,

Gonna be in there tomorrow. I'll stop and see if I can remove it. Not gonna take a chain hoist with me but maybe I can do something.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess we should have taken some pictures. It's a beast. Have fun.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Theophilus,

I had no idea that was you on the Gorge today until the drive home. We've never met but have spoken on the buzz numerous times. I was running the Green Fluid Solo. Great day in the canyon and perfect post about the wood. Your beta is right on, well done.

Lenny.

·
Super Moderator
4,207 Posts
Theo,

Is it passable with a raft?

Thanks for posting the danger report.

-AH

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy,

It could be a mess for an untrained crew in a paddle raft but there is room to get by. It will have to come out before the commercial season starts.

·
Registered
579 Posts
thanks for the heads up. we just got off the river knowing it was coming was great. it is about 200 yards down from sunshine...look for the signal lights on the tracks (it is very near there) and watch out for it.

i was looking at the other poles today and have a hard time seeing it fall from the other side of the tracks... up over the tracks and into the river. (i may be wrong and i hope i am...) but is it possible that it feel on the tracks and was pushed off and into the river by the railroad crew?
i really do hope this was not the case... but from the other poles i just don't see it making it to the river without "help".

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks again for the info on this. We were able to get down there yesterday and cut it out. It was a chainsaw job for sure. There were two poles on creating the hazard.

If there are any concerns with wood in the river give us a call and we will check it out. (719)539-7289

Andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts