Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the industry have any idea when Astral might be releasing their new footwear/river shoe line? I saw a lookbook last fall that showed some pretty dope new models, and would assume they would be coming out for this coming 2015 season (obviously...) which is, well, kinda right about now... Just tryin to hold out till they drop!

-$$$

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shoe line should be hitting the ground some time in April. The green jacket is the same for 2015. Keep you eyes on the Astral Facebook page, as the new LE greenjacket should be getting more coverage here soon.

Ian Janoska
Team Astral

·
Registered
538 Posts
Shoe line should be hitting the ground some time in April. The green jacket is the same for 2015. Keep you eyes on the Astral Facebook page, as the new LE greenjacket should be getting more coverage here soon.

Ian Janoska
Team Astral

How about a sneak peak of LE on the buzz? Colors?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
91 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt, I could be totally wrong here and apologize if I am. This part I am sure of: Astral is still waiting on the shoes to be delivered to them.

I heard through the rumor mill that they are unable to make any PFD's in the USA because of the prohibitive cost of separate USCG regulations - they would have to pay the same fee for the same life vest design based on where it is made. Not sure on that though, like I said, rumor mill.

I'm curious what you don't like about the 2014 GV? Switching from a Kokatat Ronin to the GV I was really impressed with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are correct Darin. I've heard that the shoes should be getting to Astral in April.
I am not sure on the logistics of the PFDs.

Take this with a grain of salt, I could be totally wrong here and apologize if I am. This part I am sure of: Astral is still waiting on the shoes to be delivered to them.

I heard through the rumor mill that they are unable to make any PFD's in the USA because of the prohibitive cost of separate USCG regulations - they would have to pay the same fee for the same life vest design based on where it is made. Not sure on that though, like I said, rumor mill.

I'm curious what you don't like about the 2014 GV? Switching from a Kokatat Ronin to the GV I was really impressed with it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just picked up a Gj and it still has tags. May return and wait till LE comes out. Any idea when those will be available?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Those shoes might work if you only boat weekends and your gear can dry completely. I've always had a huge problem with my shoes going sour in a week or two then completely falling apart. I expect this new line will be the same....why do you fashionistas just go buy a wrestling shoe, because that's all that pos posted above is. The only shoes ever made that were good AND lasted are Mions...and they went out of business a decade ago.

Sorry for the rant, but these companies market the shit out of these "watershoes" but they can't last one whole season of use...come on.

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
It's a shame that Astral went from making the best selling, most loved rescue vests ever to making a bunch of cheap shoes. Shoes are a tough market, especially with a niche like boaters. I bet they're out of business is 2 years because of the move.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Never owned a astral shoe but own teva and FiveTen. Looks like most companies go form before function. What do people think of NRS shoes?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are harsh! Admittedly, I owned a pair of Astral Rasslers and they fell apart on me, but I can't say enough about their warranty and customer service that quickly and easily made good on my defect. The Brewers have been great and withstood a full season heavy guiding and a month on the Grand along with general use otherwise.

Sure, I could buy a pair of Keds (or wrestling shoes) for $20 but aren't most of us gearheads anyway that like supporting product leaders in the industry and owning cool gear?! I'm pretty confident Astral will continue to make quality PFDs at the very least and hopefully won't be going belly up in a few years. What a hater!

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
No hate here, call me a speculator. Too big too fast and getting away from core competency are the two things that kill a manufacturer quick. I should know, I was working for GoLite at this time last year...

I love my Green Jacket and love that Astral has always given me awesome customer service. I just don't get why they decided to do shoes.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I only hate that I have to wear Chacos because everything else falls apart or smells like death. I would love for someone to make a real innovation in footwear.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I used to wear chacos. now I wear rasslers... sure I had to apply some aqua seal at the end of the season... but do you not also have to use basic maintenance on your kokatat GMER.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts