Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on backcountry.com.... now that I have ordered mine I figured I should share the tip. 155 bucks for a greenjacket is pretty screaming.... but I do have a question too...

ive been searching the forums and cant find to much beta...

bigger guys who have swam wearing the greenjacket.... does it float you enough?! looks like its a pound or two lower than the competition in regards to buoyancy...

any 220LB guys have good or bad things to say about the amount of float from the greenjacket!?!

and anyone hav any issues with the zipper on the clamshell? looks like weakest point on the jacket.

Thanks yall!

·
Registered
180 Posts
That sale no longer....

Just to clarify the 35% off is on Astral PFD's that are being discontinued, color or design change, not GreenJackets. Was a miss-marked and if you did get one before the change enjoy, its a great price for sure..

TMCK

Keep The Hairy Side Up...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
jmack - I wear a M/L and it fits me well. Extrapolate accordingly... maybe L/XL would fit you but might be a bit large?

I would take the buoyancy rating with a grain of salt. I think most of the difference between manufacturers is in marketing. When I was looking at buying a Greenjacket, I had a similar question. I also noticed they changed their advertised buoyancy between years. I contacted someone at Astral about this, I guess because I'm weird.

They told me that buoyancy is a very difficult number to pinpoint because there are a lot of variables that play into the exact buoyancy at a given point in time (such as barometric pressure). They used the 15.5# rating as a minimum amount required in all their jackets, but that in reality they all have more than that.

So I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the Greenjacket is sweet. I've used mine heavily for 2 seasons so far and have no problems with the zipper breaking (I have forgotten to close it though and lost stuff out of the pocket because it opens so widely, but that's user error). Only problem I had was the little webbing to the ball on the release handle for the tether kept getting snagged and eventually started fraying and I had to replace the little piece of webbing which was pretty simple. Best PFD I've found so far and Astral seems like a cool company.

·
Abron Cabron
612 Posts
The new one seems to float me pretty well, from the little swimming around in the river i have done since i got it....
My 6 y/o original greenjacket... not so much anymore. I would love to see a greenjacket design with an extra Lb or two of float, but its not happening. Kokotat maximus and NRS zen both have more float, but i greatly prefer the actual design and fit of the GJ.
You will not be disappointed, (i weigh 235) but you may want to keep your old hi-float too if you have one for big,big water.
Also the zipper is great so far... nice to have that storage space. the pocket has to be opened to dry out though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually ordered the kokatat maximus this year ( not the prime rescue version)... I LOVE this jacket and it has like 18lbs... so that will be my big water jacket... the green will be my creeky jacket or if im worried about potential pin. ( that is if they honor my order and I hope they do) fingers crossed. thanks for the feed back guys.. that makes sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts