Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get my other paddling buddies to run Bogan Canyon at lower flows next week. I am aware of the constant strainer nightmare on this stretch and some blind corners, so I'm waiting for lower flows to run from the quarry to before the culverts. We are mostly IK'rs who prefer to stay in the class III stuff, but we have a very seasoned hard shell kayaker in our group who knows the run somewhat!!! Give us a heads up on a recent run anyone has done.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We ran this weekend from Quarry Rd past Hayes creek. Nothing of note before the culverts. Portaged the first culvert due to a log, which would have went if you really needed it to but we walked around. More of an issue at lower flows now I'm sure. Shouldn't be an issue if you're planning on taking out above but good to know anyway.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TBoss so much for responding with essential good news for that particular run. It is looking like most non-damned smaller rivers are on their way down, so next week should be in the 600-700 range I'm looking for. Looking to get on the RioGrande box canyon run up by Creede also next week. Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kit I am actually following you this very minute and have subbed to your channel. Have listened to your advice and hoping I can get on a run with you soon. I have watched every video on your channel and enjoy it alot, so I will be following your adventures with great interest. I take it you are back in the Gunnison area, yes? I gave you my contact number so call me please!!!! Thanks buddy!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Kit it looks like the Crystal will be in my target flow this week, but we might have to hit it mid week before flows crash hard. Our small group of 3 paddlers might be on it by Tues. or Wed. so like I said give me a call and let me know if you can join us. Just a heads up!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Heard last week it was good to go all the way from Marble "except the culvert has a strainer", but I don't know who in their right mind would run one of those culverts. People have died in them, including a father and son together a few years back; not worth it, very easy to walk around. Message me if you are doing this after 4pm during the week, I have been trying to rally some locals and it hasn't happened yet, would love to join

PS - the epic strainers here are because there are avalanche paths across the river, which were very significant 2 years ago when it was a large snowpack high water year. I can't give you a visual confirmation from today, but if it was good last week, it is almost certainly good this week because there would not be new avalanche wood (not counting the culverts, don't boat the culverts)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it looks like the 2 senior paddlers in our group are going for the run thursday around 2 :00. I'll make my call early in the morning to see where flows are to see if I'm up to the task. If anyone else is interested call Gunther at 970-497-6512 and I'll get you in touch with Todd ( the man with the plan); short notice I know!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts