Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do to the updated rules on Westwater, I am in search of a throwable flotation device, preferable today! Anywhere from boulder to fruita. Does anyone know where I can pick one up ASAP?

·
Registered
6 Posts
as much as I hate to say it, go to walmart, they have the floatation you need for less than $10 in the sporting goods section.

·
Renaissance *******
1,311 Posts
A TURKEY LEG... OF COURSE

·
Renaissance *******
1,311 Posts
Beautiful

·
Registered
332 Posts
I’m all for paying extra for quality equipment that serves me well on the river, but these are token throw cushions for the sake of appearances only, and are useless in a river rescue. I could not justify paying $40, when they’re around $10 at Walmart. I’m not a big fan of Walmart, but this is one of those occasions I’ll save the $30 and apply it towards something like a Partner griddle instead. Just saying.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just one more instance of the Utah elected officials making rules for something that they have absolutely no clue about. And, I might add, they didn't even ask or pay attention to anybody who does know. Sad really. Someone's brother in law probably makes them in Nephi.

·
Mile 157
60 Posts
Exactly!!
I think whenever I have to get one of those I am going to call it my turkey leg.
I'll second that Matt Man; the float cushion is about as useful as a turkey leg in a whitewater rescue situation!! I made comments to the state officials in UT recently during the comment period about this new requirement and let them know the throw bag is the thing that really saves lives in our trade not the seat cushion. Obviously my comments fell on deaf ears!

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
As much as I'd like to bash the Utah legislators, it's the Utah boating act complying with the US Coast guard regs. As for measuring tapes, that was brought up at the annual Volunteer Ranger meeting (on the other thread on this subject)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Guess there will be a lot of 16'+ boats on the market soon....

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Not sure many people will be selling their boats over having to purchase a $15 throwable cushion. Its a silly rule, but its not a deal breaker for me taking my Avon Pro down the Utah rivers. Grand Cayon requires you to take one for 16' and bigger too.

I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse, which is in a lot of the more outdoor oriented towns. It was $15. I found one on the Grand in Feb-Mar this year too, so I have a primary and backup now.

They make a great groover key :D Not horrible to sit on either.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Guess there will be a lot of 16'+ boats on the market soon....

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
WTF? "Honey we gotta get a smaller boat! WHY? Because if we keep this one we'll have to buy a throw cushion!"
-- Said no one, ever.

Jesus guys find something real to complain about.

Reactions: Andy H.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts