Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tenacious B
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping my dad buy a raft. I have been spending quite a bit of time on all the used gear sites looking for deals. We were trying to stay under 3k. I know i can get a RMR 16 footer for about $2,775 plus about $125 for shipping.
I know a guy that is selling a 2007 AIRE 143R for $2,900 with two thwarts. I know the AIRE is a better boat than the RMR but do you think the $2,900 is a fair price? I checked it out and it's excellent condition. There is 5 years left on the warranty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Depends on whether you want a boat that is going to have a 3 to 6 year, or a 10 to 15 year, life expectancy. Aire are well made and durable boats.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You are in Boise yes buy the aire. Factory is down the road you can do what you want repairs are covered. They can re-weld a patch whereas the RMR doesnt have a zipper so repairs due to you popping a gash into it arent gonna be covered so you will likely have to use glue, hurting its resale value.

That seems like a fair price. Has your buddy owned it since new? Is it in great condition?

Reason i ask is if its an old stock 2007 purchased in 2009 then the warrantee is valid until 2019. If it was a commercial boat the warrantee expires this year. Call aire with the S/N they will tell you when the warrantee expires

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
143R is a great boat for outfitting. Many of the 143s that i see for sale are 143D's for paddling

·
Tenacious B
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point Avatard. I'm checking the serial# now. I liked the 143r as I think it would a real stable boat for my ol' man. The boat is really is great shape. Ever consider a name change to AireTard? The input is appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you want a 16' raft, then a good deal on a 14' raft may not be a good deal for *you*.

If you're not sure what size to buy, maybe mention what you'd like to use it for and what rivers you expect to run, and you'll probably get lots of good advice.

·
Tenacious B
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 14' Legend cat that i do all my big water boating with. The raft, whether it be 14 or a 16, would be used for family paddleboat trips on the Payette, summertime family trip on the Main or maybe a fall Middle Fork trip. It will primarily be me or my dad rowing it with my kids.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Ben Bade said:
I have a 14' Legend cat that i do all my big water boating with. The raft, whether it be 14 or a 16, would be used for family paddleboat trips on the Payette, summertime family trip on the Main or maybe a fall Middle Fork trip. It will primarily be me or my dad rowing it with my kids.
Sounds like 14' would be a good compromise able to do a week trip or day float, i've done it in a 13' and wanted more space. I'd hate to see if my dad could oar a 16' boat and you need at least six or good paddlers to move a boat that big so unless you are planning a grand trip or taking ten down a river then i'd stick with a 14' boat

avatard is a good avatar name for an idiot like me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts