Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a new boat. I am used to my Dagger G-Force 6.3 but it was stolen last week so now I am in the market for a new boat. I want something that will handle as close to the G-Force as possible. And I am just curious to see what everyone thinks on what "the best boat really is"
I have heard good things about Jackson kayaks but I dont personally know much about them

Thanks for your time,
Chris

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some people gonna hate me for this, I took the fun & 2fun for A demo ,and I did'nt like em. I guess if your a playboat kinda guy they would be for you,but I cant believe EJ calls these downriver/playboats :?:
I do however wish my new EZ was made of that crosslink plastic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try the Kingpin

:D It is something that I am sure has already crossed your mind but I thought that I would throw it out there anyways. After paddling the Kingpin 6.2 for the last two years my paddling ability has skyrocketed. There is a reason that you see so many on the river that it seems like a fad, It works. Endless wheels, loops and effortless surf are guaranteed with a little effort and a Kingpin. And in response to the post by Marv, You shouldn't even be in a playboat if you are satisfied with an EZ, I paddled one for 2 years and most people progress beyond slow jerky wheel and crappy outfitting that you seem to enjoy. Take some pride in your sport and at the very least support a paddler based company in Jackson kayak instead of the uninspirational corporate beast that is Wavesport. I have only paddled the Jackson Allstar but it was a hoot. Happy Paddling Chris
Bozeman Boater

·
Registered
569 Posts
The Big wheel has really opened up some worlds for me, especially in the wave surfing realm. It is so precise edge to edge that doing blunts, back stabs, donkey flips, and even helixes much more attainable. It keeps the loopability of the Space Cadet and adds hull speed and slicier ends, which make it easier to cartwheel and trap the bow for Flatwater loops. I have only looked at the new boat - the vision. It looks like a wave monster and even more cartwheelable. I am a one of the LL faithful but they have to whole package - outfitting, design, and non coporate.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Kingpin :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
kingpins weigh too much. especially the Icons. We are talking 10 to 15 pounds more. Pain in the ass getting back and forth from the river and just that much keeping you down on the wave. Go Big, Go Lite, Go LL

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Kingpin :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Chris,
Check out the Wavesport ZG. It would be a great boat to get into after a Gforce. Does all the cool moves, yet is way faster than kinpins, jacksons, and LLs. You'll be siked when you throw the biggest loops and are the only one to catch, say little d on westwater because the rest of your amigos paddle the other sluggish boats. Really, the best way is to try them out. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A great alternative to the kingpin is the Bliss-stik RAD. I love mine and the company is VERY good if you ever have problems. They have pulled out of the shop market in the states and you have to buy direct but the price is Much better that way. I think a few of the shops around are selling off their stock cheap too. I cam out of the kingpin 6.3 and won't go back.

Best bet though is to paddle everything till you find what fits you best and go with that. Good luck

·
Registered
688 Posts
I wanted a river runner myself and was looking at the EZ (which I've used frequently but never owned), moving from a Riot Dom 44. I'm 5'11", 170 lbs and am the worst playboater on this forum. My buddy Craw talked me into the Fun without a demo and I was about to kick his ass for it but he told me to give it a few more tries.

I still think the boat is a little squirty for a "river runner", at least the rivers I'm interested in. But I am so stoked on the boat now. I've taken it down Gore 3 or 4 times now and other than a couple squirts in Gore rapid the thing is great. Last Friday I took it down the Upper Yough and had the best run on that river yet! I took it down Gauley Saturday and Sunday and felt solid and comfortable with its river running capabilities even as I was throwing up on my skirt through most named rapids from a wicked hangover. If I lost about 10 lbs I think the squirty issue would go away.

If I am having a low energy day, I might opt for the creek boat on those rivers but I like having the option of throwing myself into a hole and trying some whirlydoos every once in a while. The boat is obviously a respectable playboat since EJ wins or places in every comp in that boat.

If you want to borrow mine, let me know, Craw is also bringing back an Allstar from Gauley but that thing looks like quite a handfull.

I've met EJ and his family and they are simply great people, yet another reason to support the company.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just paddled the new Dagger Crazy 88 down WestWater at ~4000cfs and am very impressed. Ridiculously fast on waves, brainless to cartwheel, and fairly stable for the lines you'll see on the hull. It also comes with an IR Overthruster. And it weighs alot less than a Kingpin due to redesigned outfitting. It kinda looks like a G-Force and a Super Ego mated together with less stern. While I am only a 4th year paddler, I'm decent enough to say that I think this boat is killer. I'm psyched with it. Alpine Kayak in Avon has one demo boat in each size. If you have the opportunity, I'd give it a go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts