Mountain Buzz banner

Need Some Advice on Some Raft Options Trib vs RMR

2066 31
Hello, I am curious if anyone can shed some light on these questions i have and cant seem to find an answer for them. I have a old old 11FT Hyside bucket boat that was left outside by the previous owner and is a little rough. No leaks or anything like that but the rub guard is cracked beyond belief and the floor has a spot where the previous owner maybe used like a cement or something to bond it back to the raft. It works but definitely has seen better days. First thing i thought about was having this one cleaned up and repaired properly by someone in Denver. Second was looking at a new bigger boat, (13ft since it fits my frame) i mainly use it for fishing and gear hauling. I looked at the Aire Tributary and RMR W/ Drop stitch floor. Are either of these better than the other? The Aire is much cheaper right now and a less on shipping (Trib-2879.00 shipped/RMR-3799.00 shipped). Is it worth going with another Hypalon boat over these two if so what brand or model? I don't float a ton hoping at least every other weekend this summer, but we all know how that goes trying to find time isn't always easy. I appreciate any insight, Thanks!!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
I have a 13' RMR with the dropstitch that I got NIB for less than half price. If not for that I would've went for hypalon. Honestly it's a pretty tough boat, but it's HEAVY. The weight makes it seem impossible to flip on the water, but also nearly impossible to flip up onto a trailer if you don't have rollers and a winch, which I don't. The floor is great for standing to fish even without a thigh bar. Other than that I keep it inflated all the time so rolling it isn't a huge deal for me. I've also fished 2 people on the 12' hyside, super fun boat.

· Registered
46 Posts
I have a 13' RMR with the dropstitch that I got NIB for less than half price. If not for that I would've went for hypalon. Honestly it's a pretty tough boat, but it's HEAVY. The weight makes it seem impossible to flip on the water, but also nearly impossible to flip up onto a trailer if you don't have rollers and a winch, which I don't. The floor is great for standing to fish even without a thigh bar. Other than that I keep it inflated all the time so rolling it isn't a huge deal for me.

· Registered
656 Posts
Will hypalon be more durable over the trib? Like hitting rocks and what not? Also I have a big horn frame from nrs and its 60" wide so I figure why not use it. I did see a 14ft hyside that recommended a 60 inch frame. And it was around $5200 just don't know if I really wanna drop that much money for my limited use and not really much big white water. will a hypalon boat roll up better than pvc in really cold weather?
Tributaries are really tough. I've cut mine twice, once on a reeeeeeeeeeally sharp bluff face and once dropping it on a trailer, epic ass clownery both times. I patched both cuts (inner and outer) for prevention, but neither cut nicked the Airecell so they never leaked. You should have no issues bouncing off rocks and such. They actually roll nicely too - not quite as tight as a hypalon boat, but amazingly tight for PVC. For limited use I don't think you can beat a Trib. Do keep in mind, someone mentioned a ten year warranty but that's inaccurate. Murican made AIREs carry a ten year no fault, but Tribs only carry a five year manufacturer's warranty. That said, I reached out to them because my 7ish year old floor developed a leak at the valve and they sent me a new floor.

· Registered
38 Posts
I would go RMR, mostly cause of on the water performance difference as a paddle raft for SE rivers. Width, tube diameter, and rocker are slightly off on the Trib for my preference. Loading weight is a non-issue as I trailer.

· Registered
6,248 Posts
I'll give you some different rationale than everyone else.

It REALLY depends on how you plan to use it.

I have a Trib 13.0. It really has been a good all-around boat. I've run it R2 to R7 (mostly kids) and even with a frame for day trips and overnights. I do like the size and volume.
I like the weight (on land) as it is really easy for 2-3 people to carry when paddling, and it does roll fairly small. I've loaned it out to friends who have flown with it.
I DO NOT like the ballast floor when I'm running it as an R2-R3 paddle raft. It makes it feel sluggish. It is not noticeable when rowed, or with R4-R6.
The RMR (i-beam or drop-stitch) floor is a more nimble boat (on the water) if you have a lightweight crew.

Trib zippers aren't an issue on clear water rivers. They ARE an issue for silty rivers or rivers with AIS concerns.

I'd agree with MNichols, look for used hypalon first...buy new PVC if you can't find a good hypalon boat.

· Registered
104 Posts
Hello, I am curious if anyone can shed some light on these questions i have and cant seem to find an answer for them. I have a old old 11FT Hyside bucket boat that was left outside by the previous owner and is a little rough. No leaks or anything like that but the rub guard is cracked beyond belief and the floor has a spot where the previous owner maybe used like a cement or something to bond it back to the raft. It works but definitely has seen better days. First thing i thought about was having this one cleaned up and repaired properly by someone in Denver. Second was looking at a new bigger boat, (13ft since it fits my frame) i mainly use it for fishing and gear hauling. I looked at the Aire Tributary and RMR W/ Drop stitch floor. Are either of these better than the other? The Aire is much cheaper right now and a less on shipping (Trib-2879.00 shipped/RMR-3799.00 shipped). Is it worth going with another Hypalon boat over these two if so what brand or model? I don't float a ton hoping at least every other weekend this summer, but we all know how that goes trying to find time isn't always easy. I appreciate any insight, Thanks!!
Personally I think it’s worth the money for a hypalon boat because I can move it by my self. I can go boating by myself much easier and good resale. Buy nice or buy twice

· Registered
11 Posts
I concur with nervous; both these fabrics see routine commercial use for years and should be more than enough durable for your on-river needs for a long long time. In my experience, RMR's feel noticeably heavier and fwiw the hypalon seems to be less pliable and roll more poorly than some more expensive brands, so storage and in/out of the truck takes a lot more work. My back suffers a lot more moving and lifting my buddy's 13' RMR than the 13' Hysides we use at the raft company here. The difference between the Trib and the RMR dropstitch is listed at ~25 lbs (115 Trib vs 141 RMR), so its up to you to decide how much that makes a difference. If you're rolling/unrolling a lot, versus keeping on a trailer, and storing in cold, a PVC boat can get cracks on the folds and creases more easily over time, but this negatively affects a classic single-wall tube construction like Maravia with micro leaks a lot more than a bladder construction like the Trib in which the outer wall is just a sheath. Clean your boat and condition the fabric well each season and should be fine. Both boats will last a long time and run the rivers you need them to run; if cost is deciding the factor, then you should have no problem feeling good about the less expensive option.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts