Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend of a friend... he is about a twice a year boater... he has a large 55 gallon drum plastic patch on the bottom of his old M3 kinda guy. About a year ago we were casually paddling some class 3 and the bright idea came up to switch around paddles and try something new... so I handed him my AT2 Flexi bent shaft... and he handed me his flimsy Ty Warp bent shaft. -- (Now this is not the place to debate Ty Warp quality, but man they seem to break alot -- just pick one up, they feel too light....)

Anyway... in less than 2 minutes I ran a rapid, hit a rock and had his silly excuse for a kayak paddle in 2 pieces.... -- I did nothing crazy, no rolls, no pushing off the bottom or running slots.... the blade just hit a rock and the shaft snapped at the bend/hand.... and now he has been bugging me through our mutual friend to replace it ever since....

I kinda feel responsible --> but then again...not really.

1>Should I tell him to go buy his own QUALITY paddle?
2>Should I waste money on buying him the same thing?
3>Give him money towards something of quality?
4>Other thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
you broke it you replace it, chalk it up as some of that mo-jo education we buy in life, be careful what you borrow. I would try to find a used paddle just about the same thing as he had before and tell him not to loan it to anyone because they break to easy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd give him the $100 or whatever those Ty Warps cost and advise he get a AT paddle of some sort. Any AT would be an improvement.

1. You'll feel better and feel like you did the right thing. It's just money. It comes and goes and you'll likely make more.
2. You'll probably keep a paddling buddy, maybe get him out more often.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Cough up the cash and why would any AT be an improvement if he wanted one that didnt break?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cough up the cash and why would any AT be an improvement if he wanted one that didnt break?

Yeah, I am with you -- After 3 AT2 Flexi bent shafts in under a year -- and their hilarious customer service. I UPGRADED to a Werner Shogun... wish it had the AT Grips, but it certainly is nice not to have it break in the middle of Class V rapids like the last AT2.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd say give him however much that paddle is worth towards a Werner, and tell him that he should buy a Werner because those are bomber paddles.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You need to reimburse him in some way, shape or form. Any chance you've been wanting a new paddle yourself? One thought would be to give him yours and get yourself a new one. That way, he'd have a better paddle than he had before, and you would too! At least give him what it would cost to buy the same POS he had before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hope we didn't dissapoint you with all the responces being pretty much the same, I can tell you almost had yourself talked into not doing anything, don't bail on this guy you would expect someone to replace your's regardless if he boats in a 55 gal. drum or a bath tub."Do the right thing"

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had a similar experience. I had a bunch of little cracks on my windshield (about 10) but nothing over 1/4 inch. My buddy was putting boats on the roof rack and stood on my windshield and put a huge spider web crack on the drivers side. He told me to fix the windshield and since my old one was already cracked and probably needed replacement, that he would pay for half of the new windshield. I thought this was fair.

I would pay for half of what the already used paddle costs new.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
You broke his paddle. Replace it. No if's, ands, or buts. What he chooses to paddle with is none of anybody's business but his own. Man, what a bunch of nannys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
you have a pretty good buddy with the windsheld thing not many out there that would do that. Whats his name I need a new windshield also," just kidding"

·
Registered
107 Posts
What's with all this hand-wringing and beating about the bush?
1) Call him up and see whether he wants a new shitty paddle or the cash.
2) Fulfill his choice from #1.
3. Apologize for the delay and consider including a six-pack.
End of discussion.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would ask him how he would like to handle it. How much he wants for it. If he gave you something that he knew was partially broken then it would be his resposibility, but it sounds like you broke what he thought to be a perfectly good paddle, otherwise he would not have been using it. Even though it was a piece of crap, you need to replace his crap with either cash or crap, and I would just ask him what he would like.

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
alright I have a case where I didn't think I had to replace someones gear but what do you guys think? a guy was afraid to run a rapid and asked me to run his raft through. I agreed, flipped, and the frame and oar got bent and his kayak got ripped off (we found it later). i was like sorry i guess you should have gave it a go.

·
Registered
418 Posts
alright I have a case where I didn't think I had to replace someones gear but what do you guys think? a guy was afraid to run a rapid and asked me to run his raft through. I agreed, flipped, and the frame and oar got bent and his kayak got ripped off (we found it later). i was like sorry i guess you should have gave it a go.
I think if you agreed to run someone's raft through a rapid that you couldn't handle and his gear got damaged, then you should be responsible.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Casey, I've heard the story of that entire trip... and that run in particular. If someone is unwilling to row their own boat through a rapid, and puts someone else to the task - who mind you, is one of the most capable boaters I've ever been on the river with - then I think the owner is responsible as he was not willing to have a go himself. If he had borrowed the boat for the trip or something, then yeah, his responsibility.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I guess the devil is in the details...
that said, the only one who can be held responsible for a boat damaged from a flip is the captain. The only exception would be if he were exempted from all liability from the owner before he launched. The lesson learned is: don't pilot another's craft unless you are willing to pay for it (or they are willing to say you don't have to) .

1 - 20 of 55 Posts