Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, our 10 year old just finished kayak camp. I need to buy gear for him. He is small for age, 60#, 4'4". He is getting a Fun1 next week. He needs a paddle, drytop, farmer john, booties, etc. I don't know what paddle he should use. It sounds like he used a werner that was shorter than stock form at the camp. Any ideas or advice? I'd love to find used gear anyone has laying around. Small gear is a new territory for me. Thanks so much!!

Jim 828-337-4508

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Start hitting gear swaps, and watch craigslist/FB marketplace religiously.

Try 'murica's river gear swap' group on FB.

When my girls were that age, I bought a LOT of gear that was too big when I found a deal on it, knowing they'd grow into it. Now they're 5-7 and 5-8 and just steal my wife's gear!

·
Renaissance *******
1,311 Posts
I bought a LOT of gear that was too big when I found a deal on it, knowing they'd grow into it. Now they're 5-7 and 5-8 and just steal my wife's gear!
Ha , Same. But the little beggers are stealing my gear

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
PM sent.

·
Photographer | Geologist
62 Posts
My son is 11 and is on the creeks a lot with me. Drytop: they won't like teh constriction of teh neck gasket, but will thank you when the take a swim or roll, and stay dry. A semi-dry top, they will get water leakage through the neck area and will get cold. It's worth spending a little extra for positive experience.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My son grew out of his Fun 1 last season -- I have a nearly new sprayskirt for it. Let me know via PM if you'd like it. I'm in Salida.

tom.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Werner paddle made for kids is the Twist. It has a smaller diameter shaft, is shorter, and has smaller blades. I have one for sale that I used as my primary paddle for a few years. Grown up now I moved to a longer paddle with bigger blades. PM me if you are interested and we can talk about a fair price. The Werner Twist I have for sale is 192 cm long and has all the standard features, like a 30 degree offset and a bent shaft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We kayak and canoe often with our kids - now 12 yo, 4yo, and 2 1/2 yo. We start around 1 1/2 with no problems.

That said, we are both very confident on the water and in the boats. I don't think that I'd do a kayak trip like that with a child in the boat if I wasn't confident. It's not so much a safety issue, but just an enjoyment issue. It's really, really hard to enjoy the trip if you are struggling to control your kayak. I've seen so many people miserable on those trips because they're focused on just keeping up instead of enjoying to experience. In your shoes, I'd do the motorized trip. I think you'd enjoy it more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts