Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on going for my Level V ACA cert with ExChile next winter. I will be on the Futa. I am trying to figure out what to expect. I am more of a big water boater, and have ran about 10 out of 15 miles the North Fork of the Payette at 2300cfs. My plans are to train on that a ton next year, and have some top to bottoms under my belt at good flows. What is the Futa comparable to in the states?

·
addict
739 Posts
If you're running the NF payette you will be fine on the Futa. The standout rapids on the Futa are the Infierno Canyon (actually 5 rapids), Zeta, Throne, and Terminator. Zeta is perhaps the most consequential because of very undercut walls. The others are a blast.

Before I spent a winter in Futa I asked a Gauley video boater who had spent a few seasons there what to expect. He said if you're comfortable on the Gauley at 8000 cfs you'll love the Futa. That seems pretty accurate to me.

I never felt like I needed a playboat because the Futa's features are large enough to play in a creeker. Many lines of varying difficulty exist in most rapids. You can take the main lines, sneak lines, or hero lines.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I will add that the whirlpools, and amount of huge holes and crashing waves on the Futa are hard to find in the states... The hardest parts of the Futa are: Inferno Canyon, The Terminator Section, and Bridge to Bridge. Most people don't run Inferno until below 12,000cfs... I think. Terminator Section is easiest, other than Terminator Rapid, but there is still Asleep at the Wheel, Kieber Pass, and Himalaya. Bridge to Bridge is action packed, and there are plenty of hazards to watch out for. It's the most commonly run section, but is not easy either.

That being said, sections of the Snake River in WY, the Payette, other runs at flood stage, and big water runs in Canada could be compaired to the Futa. It's big, but is also one of the coolest, most beautiful places I've been lucky enough to paddle. Enjoy!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm headed there next month with ExChile. If you're comfortable on the NFP I don't imagine you'll have any issue with the Futa. Though there is a good offering of Class V, I feel rivers like the Gauley and Ottawa are most comparable to what you'll see on the Futa. At least as far as Bridge to Bridge section and Terminator. Inferno Canyon through Throne Room look more consequential but good luck finding anything similar in the States. I'm hoping to lace up and run Inferno but I might opt for a day in a play boat on Bridge to Bridge instead. Either way, incredible river and one hell of a trip.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have never paddled in Chile personally. I have talked to 3 separate people who all say the Kootanai river in Mt. (Above18,000 or so cfs.) is the closest thing to the Futa they have paddled in the US. All three also have some top to bottom NF payette under their belt, two of them have big name sponsors so they get to paddle in a lot of places.

·
Registered
478 Posts
There are a good number of videos of the falls and superwave, but not much of the canyon below that. Come paddle it with me sometime! Be warned, I have been told that above 19-20ish it becomes a whole different beast.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Bump... Trying to head down to this area the 2nd or 3rd week of December next year. How big is it going to be? I have heard this will be high water and cold, but is it still manageable for mortals or am I going to get destroyed?

Also, this may not be a strictly boating trip. We will be driving from cordoba to patagonia with about 2 weeks to kill, is there anything we need to check out for the nonboaters (besides pucon)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Very much appreciated! Good editing, good music, and definitely lots of footage of yourself kayaking. Personally, I would've enjoyed more rafting views, but that's my opinion. It's your vid you put what you want! Overall, well done! ...from a dude that has zero videoing or editing skills.

Now if I could only convince my better half we need to go there! Here's to wishful thinking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts