Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm partial, but I say Durango.

Paddling on the Animas. Book a private group course through 4 Corners Riversports. 300 miles of mtn bike trail. Fish the Animas or San Juan. Get together with Kling Mountain Guides and do a one day backcountry ski trip up towards Silverton or rock climbing in the desert. More restaurants per capita than SF. Warm weather. Airport 10 minutes from DT.

Lots of world-class athletes here - former Olympians and World Cup / Champions from the paddling, cycling climbing and running.

Buena Vista would be my second.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey ArlingtonVA, although I am partial to the Upper Animas and the Ark is really fine whitewater, if your crew wants to one-up the Gauley you might want to consider rafting on the Gore Canyon Section of the Colorado. This is normally an August trip as the water needs to come down for the outfitters to run rafts through this most difficult section of the Colorado River. What everyone said about the kayaking is pretty much true and no self respecting guide school is going to allow you to risk your life in their expensive gear down hard whitewater, period.
Whitewater Kayaking (were talking decked boats with sprayskirts here) takes days to master simple maneuver's like making the boat go straight and turning when you want it to turn. For a fun vacation filled with adrenaline this is not it. If you want to learn the basics and take a class go to 4CornersRiversports or RMOC or another ACA accredited school and take a three day class. Maybe you'll get hooked and have a lifelong sport like those of us on the 'Buzz'. There's plenty of places to paddle on the east coast_ and you have good whitewater right along the Potomac in D.C. and then you won't have to hire a guide service, just pack yer van and come out west. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
lmyers, Brandon is good people! He gave me some good ideas, too. Said that climbing 14ers is better in Sep, after thunderstorm season, and that snow might block the trails until July or so. Does that sound right?

Yeah, usually that's a fair assumption. Our snowpack hasn't really started melting yet. Peak flows (at least on the Arkansas) usually occur sometime around the first or second weekend in June. If you choose to come paddle whitewater during peak flows you will find that you have to float "easier" water (difficulty ratings and consequences to health and equipment go up as water levels increase).

We have a flow program that releases water from upstream reservoirs after the natural melt is over, so there is sufficient water in the Arkansas for whitewater fun through mid-August. Plus after the melt is over the water temperature increases significantly. My recommendation for timing would be mid-July to mid-August. At that time of year you can bike, boat and climb a 14'er (in the same day if you have energy). We also have many, many miles of off roading trails and some world class rock climbing. Not to mention 2 hot springs and a variety of other fun activities.

Buena Vista & Salida Colorado Hot Springs Vacations near Monarch Mountain

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I thought I'd follow up my original post, and say thanks to the MountainBuzz community for your great ideas.

We Manned Up in Buena Vista CO and the crew at Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center took great care of us. Our group included 13 guys, ranging in ages from 24-64. We did duckies on the Arkansas with Tommy guiding us, then mountain biking with Shannon, and then climbed Mt Princeton on our third and final day. Everyone left with great memories. Brandon and his crew at RMOC are top notch. Great advice from people on this website. THANKS!

Planning has already started for MU2018. I'm thinking about VT, maybe some nordic skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling. Or an adventure race. Anyone heard of The Endurance Society?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
My crew is back at it and we are looking to Man Up 2021 in Jackson WY. We had such a blast on the Arkansas in BV CO. Does anyone have recommendations for Jackson? My Google search doesn’t come up with any outfitters who do duckies there. Rafting is just too tame. I thought we might be able to spend a day learning to kayak. Perhaps you all might have other thoughts.
Also would appreciate any suggestions for mountain biking or other manly adventures.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You're in Dallas? Go up to Oklahoma city and do that whitewater park! No undercuts or sieves and it's a weekend trip. Then get the fact that it's really really really hard and learn? or go surfing in Bali or maybe that cool Everest base camp trail hike deal. That looks cool! Iam sure others have said it but DO NOT GO RUN A CLASS 5 RIVER IN A KAYAK YOUR FIRST TIME LOL!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh sorry man! I gotta pay better attention! You'll have fun on the snake ? In Jackson. Think its awsome you guys go do fun/crazy stuff together.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts