Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Go to Fort Collins and try and hit all the breweries in one day and only use bike, feet, or public transportation. Then go up and hook up with an outfitter and run the Poudre Wild and Scenic section during peak flows.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Another vote for the Yough. Go to Ohiopyle and have someone show you beaters down the loop. It's a short section of river that runs in a large horseshoe. As a bunch of rookies to hard boats, you'll have some great swims and carnage by the time you hit the takeout. Next day, rents duckies for the upper yough (4-5) and have yourself a manly time getting beat to a pulp on your way down. Next day pick you poison of hard or soft kayak and head to the tygart river (valley falls) to huck a few super safe waterfalls.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
You sound like a bunch of misogynistic dungles from the city. You're not going to be able to kayak whitewater (like the bad ass ladies on this forum do every day) for so many reasons. Stick to rafting and ziplining with the rest of the gapers.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Drag your boat down the Muddy from I -70 to Hanksville Ut. Be sure to bring plenty of water to drink because the river is nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
More ideas than I could have possibly hoped for! Certainly is opening my eyes to new adventures that we have to put on the list, if not this year, one in the future.
Gotta make some phone calls tomorrow...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pikes Peak

Well if you want to man up doing a one day up and down trip of Pikes Peak is no walk in the park. No it is not Mountain Climbing but it is an endurance challenge. You can fly right into the springs do Pikes Peak and then head up the Arkansas Valley to Ducky browns or whatever. Also anything you can kayak you can SUP. Plenty of mountain biking trail. Also you could SUP a bunch of White water play parks in Pueblo, Cannon City, Salida and Buena Vista. River surfing looks like a blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taAXmhFxUQM&list=PLuyZcF9mpiDKw6koTCHtpw9igCQDZyK7F&index=3

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Plan your trip for mid-June. Go to the Upper Ark Valley. Rent a house in Buena Vista. Rent duckies, riverboards and required water apparel from CKS or a local outfitter. Paddle/swim Browns and Numbers. There will be some beat-downs, but assuming you are hardened individuals, you'll be just fine. Second to worst case, you loose some gear and some deposits.

Here's how getting on the river works: Read up on specific runs on American Whitewater and Riverbrain.com or, better yet, get a copy of Colorado Rivers and Creeks or Whitewater of the Southern Rockies. Know your put-in and take-out locations. Assuming one car, drive to putin and drop everything and everyone off. One person drives care to takeout and hitches a ride back (easy in the Ark Valley in June). Crew paddles to takeout, perhaps with some comedy along the way. Cold beer.

If you are hell-bent on paddling hardshells, then spend at least a few days in a pool before your trip getting down the basics of bracing and rolling. CKS also rents and sells hardshells.

Once you've lost enough gear to suit your fancy, there's great mountain biking, rock climbing and scenic mountain walks in the BV area.

Have fun, be safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Upper Salt

Upper salt river in AZ. Overnight trip using IFKs or pack rafts. Skip Colorado and do something unique. You can rent pack raft equipment online. Be safe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'd also recommend Wilderness Adventures over the other outfitters for bike/ kayak rentals, they have a one stop shop for everything, are are great people, and have a sweet bar on the property.
Kirks, Did you mean Wilderness Voyageurs for the Yough? Talked with them this afternoon. Seem like good folks. I got the impression they're a big outfit, like ACE is on the Gauley.

Call Brandon at the Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center
lmyers, Brandon is good people! He gave me some good ideas, too. Said that climbing 14ers is better in Sep, after thunderstorm season, and that snow might block the trails until July or so. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Upper salt river in AZ. Overnight trip using IFKs or pack rafts. Skip Colorado and do something unique. You can rent pack raft equipment online. Be safe.
That sounds cool too! I like "unique". Suggestions on guides or outfitters that you can suggest?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ken,

I just read your post about your Man Up trip and I was wondering if I could be your guide. I live just outside of Telluride Colorado. A beautiful place as you well know.

I own Telluride CrossFit and Gymnastics and I have been a whitewater raft guide for the past 18 years both private and commercial . I have almost 15,000 river miles on more than 100 stretches of whitewater.

What about getting all of your buddies out here in early June for Upper Animas class V whitewater rafting, Moab mountain biking, Via Ferrata hike/climb, and many other options. I am sure I could easily provide an adventure each day for and your thrill seeking friends.

Andrew Brachle
[email protected]
9seven0-70eight-520two

·
Registered
86 Posts
Kirks, Did you mean Wilderness Voyageurs for the Yough? Talked with them this afternoon. Seem like good folks. I got the impression they're a big outfit, like ACE is on the Gauley.

Yep, that's the one. I think they have been around the longest out of all the Yough companies, I believe since the 60's.

Also, if you're in the DC area, once you get the kayaking bug, there are a lot of rivers to hit up next door - including the Potomac below Great Falls. Beautiful gorge to paddle down and only 10 miles upstream of the city. I highly recommend. class II-III at normal summer flows. Little falls rapid below the gorge is also a blast.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts