Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a reservation for a private group trip on the Middle Fork of the Salmon launching July 22nd. There are five in our group, none with rafting experience. We are looking for two or three experienced whitewater rafters, preferably with experience on this river to lead our group.

Mark

·
Registered
362 Posts
So have you heard the one about the 5 Californians in the Idaho wilderness? NO? Oh wait, thats how Sun Valley started. Hmmm. Somethings fishy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mark,

If you're not a troll, please don't get discouraged. You've probably got a few pm's in your inbox already; be sure to check it. Despite the crap we give here on the forum many of us would walk on the firepan for a mid-summer MF trip. I don't think I can help you this year unfortunately. As a former Cal Poly Mustang with a lot of family on the Mesa, I wish you luck. My family used to run the old doughnut shop/BBQ at Halcyon and Hwy 1 back in the day before AJs and all the development.

If you're a troll, congrats, you got me with Oceano.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, we are willing to pay for guides. Again, looking for two or three experienced whitewater guides with experience on the Middle Fork of the Salmon.

Mark

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It's illegal to pay for guides (assuming you may not be trolling), read your permit info.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
471 Posts
It is indeed illegal to pay for guides, subsidize their trip or rent their equipment. Trips must be cost share based. In a normal flow year it would be easier to round up a couple rowers for July 22. This year the low water would make a bunch of inexperienced 'guests' a ton of work.

I'm sure someone will bite. Make sure you will get along in the drugs and alcohol category. Also, expect a 50% flake out rate.

Good luck! I'm looking at an october launch for fall colors and crystal clear water, though it be little.

I did this on the grand last year with a CA crew with zero experience but a permit in hand and it worked fine.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I would find a group of five with some of their own boats and experience. Group of 10 people is manageable and you will want a full 7 nights. Then I would plan on you supplying two boats, and them bringing two of their own. Round it out with some add on IK and or sup. If you have never rowed, let them handle the sticks for the first two days to indian, and then afterwards through any particularly challenging rapids. Use these first days to identify thise in your group with true river skills, and as a teaching moment. By day 4 some of your group can start to assume full liability for operating your own craft. Make sure you do a shitload of the work in camp as its a lot of stress to lead a bunch of newbies down a river like that.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Yes, we are willing to pay for guides. Again, looking for two or three experienced whitewater guides with experience on the Middle Fork of the Salmon.

Mark
As mentioned above 'paying for guides' is not allowed. That would be a commercial activity and you said you had a private group trip 'reservation'.
When you pay people to take you down that is no longer a private trip.
How can you end up with a permit and only now get around to figuring out how to go about it?

On the offside chance this isn't a troll and you genuinely didn't know that you couldn't 'hire' people to take you down:

July 22nd ( this year) has the potential to be quite low and challenging.

That said late July is a pretty premium time of summer for families to get on the water. Fishing will be good too.

Do you have any desire to figure out how to raft and try some of it on your own or are you just looking to be 'taken care of'? Because there are some excellent outfitters on this stretch that will make it painless and awesome.

If you really are trying to do this yourself you may want to put up a little more info on who you are and what you are hoping to do. The way it is presented now the appeal to an experienced boatman is not high.

But you never know. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Change plans

The Middle Fork is a magnificent place, but not a river for novice rafters to tackle at any water level really. There are plenty of rivers that are. Think about a June trip on the Grande Ronde or July/August on the Lower Salmon or Hells Canyon. All three also pass through spectacular terrain and won't require you to put all of your stake in strangers or participate in illegal activity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a reservation for a private group trip on the Middle Fork of the Salmon launching July 22nd. There are five in our group, none with rafting experience. We are looking for two or three experienced whitewater rafters, preferably with experience on this river to lead our group.

Mark

Mark,
Would like to talk to you about helping w/ your trip!!

JDpaddle
[email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
47 Posts
Let's discuss it. I may be interested in running a boat with max one passenger. Late July M.F. is going to be very boney. I know the M.F. very well. If you try to do it your self with no experience. You are not going to enjoy yourself.
Craig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts