Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to run Kermits to Black Rock tonight, and I am looking for any beta that might help us out.

This is the only section that I have not run yet so I am excited to check it out. I have heard that there are a couple class 4's on there but I don't know where or what there characterics are?

Any info would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
Danny

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are a comfortable IV boater this section is mostly read and run. There is a rapid called "scissors" (I think) that is right before the first tunnel as you are heading away from Kermit's. It's got a bit of an "S" move to it to avoid some rock/hole features. You can scout it easily if you park your car on the left side of the road as your headed away from Kermit's right before the first tunnel. There is a pull off and trail to it. I also remember there being a decent sized hole after the river comes back towards the highway when the tunnel ends. Again you could scout this easily if you pull into the turnout on the left right after you exit that first tunnel. Walk back upstream about 100 yards. I remember everything else to be pretty straightforward read and run. Have fun.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are 4 distinct rapids I recommend you scout if you have never ran them because a wrong line might send you into rocks. There are a couple of boofs you do not want to miss. The first one is on double knife rapid. It is after the "S" move as explained above, and after the river goes under the road. You will see an obvious drop, and it is easy to get out and scout this rapid. The next boof is the last rapid...It snuck up on last time and so we paddled quick and hard to boof with no problem....I guess you can piton your boat if you do not land flat. Other than that, read and run.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Upsteam of tunnel 6 is Double Knife, worth a look as you'll want to see the drop, if you don't scout drop in to the right of the black thumb rock, the ledge has a little slot here, just watch your angle it's horseshoe shaped. There is another drop just upsteam (Ejector) that has flipped its' share of rafts. It stays fun until you get back to the highway after tunnel 6. You'll go through Hell's Corner, Deep Hell, Deep Hole and down stream of tunnel 6 is the Terminator hole (shouldn't be to bad at this level). You'll go under a bridge at tunnel 5 and shortly after is Horendous Left Turn (III), when the road starts to come back into view you'll see a shot up rusty car on river right, just beyond that is Corkscrew, the last significant drop, it's a blind enterance, you'll want the middle slot or scout on the right. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Upper and Lower Beaver right after the put-in at Kermits, you may want to take a look, lower is a pile of rocks, upper is just fun. I'd join you but the lawn needs work and the mother-in-law is in town. Give me a call if you want to play Thurs- Sat evening or Sun-Mon all day.
Jed

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks jed,

I might be taking a buddy with me on saturday to run black rock, probably later in the afternoon or early evening. If you want to come that would be great I can probably grab a paddler or two for you if needed. I'll call you later.

Danny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts