Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've never been kayaking before but im looking to start. i am taking lessons in august and wanted to buy a boat before then. any advice on a good beginner boat? i want something that i wont progress out of too quick. i've been looking for a used one but dont really know what to look for. size? type? all that. any advice would be awesome.

·
Registered
989 Posts
EZ, Big EZ or Super EZ...depending on size. Stable, good river runner...still plays.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would take your lessons first and then demo and rent boats, alot of shops will apply most of your rentals to purchase price. Buying a boat now will allmost ensure that you will be buying a new one in the near future to get what you really wanted in the beginning but didn't know any better.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You need to give more info for us to help you.
Height
Weight
How aggresive do you plan on being
Only rivers, just playparks or play your way downriver
How willing are you to work at learning
Any paddling background ie: canoe, seakayak...
How much are you willing to spend
so on and so on

The bigger the boat the more stable the smaller the more playfull.
The new bigger boats you won't grow out ofas much as grow into them by running bigger water, steeper grades and such.
A riverplayer is a little harder to learn in but it will help you learn the skills you need to handle bigger water.

Depending on your focus and size...
Jackson Funs
Wavesport EZ's/EZG's
Dagger Outlaw/Honcho/Juice
All good riverrunners surfer/players
Never paddled other brands of that type.

Liquid Logic Lil Joe/Hoss
Wavesport Deisel's
Dagger Mamba's
Good riverrunner/bigger water boats that will surf too.

Also check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Coloradokayakers/
there are alot of newer paddlers there to play with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone

i'm 5"11" and i weigh about 180 lbs. i plan on going pretty agressive and putting a lot of time into it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
hey dan, demo demo demo.

Its just like buying some good skis, you can take tons of input but you really don't know how they perform until you get them on the hill. If you are getting into this sport in August you won't really have a whole season anyway. So do the demo route and pick up a boat for cheap this winter.

With that said, I only reccomend 1 boat for anyone getting started: EZ, Big EZ, Super EZ. (they are the exact same boat but just bigger as you move down the line) These boats are extremely comfortable, stable, and let you do the tricks. Comfort/Stability should be a deciding factor for you.

After you do your class be sure to hook up with the people you boated with. The above suggestion with yahoo kayak group is golden. There is also the CWWA where you can meet folks at your level and progress from there. I traded some phone numbers after my initial class and have been paddling with those people for over 5 years now.

Good luck,
Ryan
Chewlies Gum Representativve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts