Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heys guys, do you think pumphouse would be good for a few beginning rafters tomorrow? The river is running at 3200 right now. I've never run that stretch before so any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
668 Posts
There are only two rapids to worry about - Eye of the Needle and Yarmony. You can avoid Yarmony altogether if you get out at Radium.

Neither are particularly hard, but you don't want to screw them up. Eye of the Needle is easy - just don't go over the rock in the middle of the river. I have always gone right of it, but I believe you can go either way. There is a second hole if you go right, so as soon as you pass the middle rock, go left to avoid that.

Yarmony is actually easier IMO. Just stay left. Hug the left side until you pass the big hole in the river (at lower levels, it's a rock you can actually see). Once past it, slip into the wave train and enjoy the rest of the ride.

It's a good stretch for beginners to get the hang of your boat. I took a friend there a few weeks ago (it was only 900-ish though), and he never rowed before in his life. He ran both of those rapids, as well as the rest. He didn't do so well on Eye of the Needle, but made the Yarmony move just fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you that's sounds like what we will do.

Can anyone tell me how many miles and how long it would take to float from:

Pumphouse to Radium

Pumphouse to Rancho Del Rio (this spot isn't in my gazetteer)

Pumphouse to state bridge

Thanks so muck you guys rock! :cool:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Lets see, according to my river log

Pumphouse to Radium- 4.55 miles
Pumphouse to Rancho del Rio-10.80 miles
Pumphouse to State Bridge-14.9 miles

There is a BLM river map that will show you the rapid locations, as well as the camps along the way. (do a search: type in Upper Colo.) Last year Rancho would do a shuttle for $40. State Bridge wanted $3 per PERSON to use their ramp, kind of steep if you have several folks with you. Ran it several times last year, got it at 4330 cfs and had a blast. BoilermakerU's advice is spot on for the rapids. Have fun!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it looks like we're gonna do pumphouse to rancho del rio. Debating whether to take two cars up there or trying to thumb a ride(never been to this area). Do you guys think it would be hard to thumb a ride from rancho back up to pumphouse or would we be better off taking two cars?

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Well it looks like we're gonna do pumphouse to rancho del rio. Debating whether to take two cars up there or trying to thumb a ride(never been to this area). Do you guys think it would be hard to thumb a ride from rancho back up to pumphouse or would we be better off taking two cars?
I shoot on the upper stretch in the fall (gore) and I hitch pretty often to get up top, never had a problem.

·
Come and open the gate
183 Posts

its usually pretty easy to hitch a ride back up to pumphouse, especially from rancho.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Did the Rancho shuttle last week-$35. Worth it if you're coming from far considering gas prices and depreciation. Be sure to go have a beer at KK's BBQ, little hut at Ranch Del Rio, she's a hoot and has good eatin's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts